Edinburgh pubs and restaurants

youandiaredominoes

The Cafe Royal is a cracking boozer, hidden away behind Princes Street, Balmoral Hotel end: http://www.caferoyaledinburgh.co.uk/

Upstairs at The Doric Tavern, behind Waverley Station is good for lunch and is beside The Hebridies Bar which was my second home for 8 years. It's a proper Scottish pub. Tiny but can get pretty good fun. Gets a bit industrial at times!

ETA: The Jolly Judge, down a side vennel up by the Castle is worth a visit. A haven just off The Royal Mile and all the hustle and bustle: http://www.jollyjudge.co.uk/index.htm

From there a short hop down toward The Grassmarket where you will Mick Macs suggestion. During The Fringe, everywhere will be packed but its a great time to be in the City.

There is a restaurant in The Cafe Royal which looks like a separate bar. There used to be part of the pub upstairs but I'd avoid that. The Guildford arms is round the corner and that's a great pub as well. For early risers The Penny Black is in that block and it opens at 6am. Some sights in there!

There is a Italian at the West End that's good, sorry cant mind the name, it's near The Indigo Yard which used to be good as well for a few drinks.

The Dome on George Street is pretty impressive if you want a bit of civility, could end up in Fingers Piano bar after. That's a bit rough round the edges but was always a Good Friday night out...till the ban!

Help-Ma-Boab - I think you've recommended all my old favourite haunts! I'll second the Doric Tavern and the Guildford Arms.

What kind of restaurant are you looking for? Upmarket? Cheap and cheerful? Something in between? Any particular cuisine to stay away for or any favourites?

I think we're looking for one night to be a very nice restaurant and the next night a nice, but cheaper option.

I just looked up Guilford Arms - went there last year too, and was really good. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, some really impressive places to visit!

Another question, what about whisky tasting? Any recommendations? I went somewhere quite good near the royal mile and it was a bar which served be 5 different whiskys for ?14 - was really good. I think we're interested in trying the whisky, not so much a tour about how it is made...

The Bow Bar on victoria Street just below the Castle has a lot of whisky - https://plus.google.com/110882423509780880371/about?gl=uk&hl=en#110882423509780880371/about?gl=uk&hl=en and is a good pub.

Not sure if it does offical tastings. The Scotch whisky society is up near the Castle (and The witchery which is a very fancy restaurant and worth a visit if you are having an expensive meal one night!). Think you need to be a member though and it will probably show you how it is made as well as tastings. Never been. Cant drink whisky!