Mayoral candidates - enironment and transport pledges

I've put this in the transport section as I expect this will get the most interest

Susan Hall, Tory - scrap ULEZ day 1 (not legally feasible), fed up with cyclist dangerous behaviour, will remove LTNs that clog up our roads, and believes that the expansion of cycle lanes is wretched and causing massive congestion

Zoe Garbett, Greens, - ULEZ could go futher and mentions SUVs that are compliant , Silvertown tunnel just for public transport and active travel (yay!), supportive of LTNs and cycle lane expansion.  Could take green/lefty votes away from Labour

Rob Blackie - wanted ULEZ expansion delayed and fairer (?), wants Sutton successful smarter travel plan rolled out wider - increased cycling by 75% and cut car use by 6%, free hire bikes on Sundays (yay).  A cyclist.

Sadiq Khan - says he was responsible for enabling rollout of LTN funding.  A little misleading, the LTN went from government to London Boroughs via an application process, whereas for the rest of the country local authorities bid directly to government.  I expect this was a quick pragmatic decision by government as the best way to get the money distributed when we were still in lockdown.  Mayor's strategy - safer streets,boost active and public transport.  Net zero ambitions more advanced than many other parts of UK

Howard Cox, Reform - scrap ULEZ, LTNs and 20mph.  Get our country back.  Believes Highway Code changes were authored by an asylum inmate, and are a cyclists charter (obviously doesn't understand changes to Highway Code which clarified cyclists' position in the road, but otherwise was more about better cyclists behaviour).  Scrap excessively wide cycle lanes (I can only think of the Embankment, which is probably one of the least of motorists issues).  Expect will split the Tory vote.

Changes to the Highway Code

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-highway-code-8-changes-you-need-to-know-from-29-january-2022

Includes:

• when people are crossing or waiting to cross at a junction, other traffic should give way
  • if people have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, the people crossing have priority and the traffic should give way
  • people driving, riding a motorcycle or cycling must give way to people on a zebra crossing and people walking and cycling on a parallel crossing

A parallel crossing is similar to a zebra crossing, but includes a cycle route alongside the black and white stripes.

I've not examined the manifesto's in depth and much of the above is from statements on X, public meetings, media, and the like.  Happy to be corrected.  And yes I did plagiarise much of this!

Personally disappointed that the hierarchy of road users didn't go further, ie assume that it is the fault of the larger vehicle where there is a collision until shown otherwise.

50 minutes ago, malumbu said:

I've put this in the transport section as I expect this will get the most interest

Susan Hall, Tory - scrap ULEZ day 1 (not legally feasible), fed up with cyclist dangerous behaviour, will remove LTNs that clog up our roads, and believes that the expansion of cycle lanes is wretched and causing massive congestion

Zoe Garbett, Greens, - ULEZ could go futher and mentions SUVs that are compliant , Silvertown tunnel just for public transport and active travel (yay!), supportive of LTNs and cycle lane expansion.  Could take green/lefty votes away from Labour

Rob Blackie - wanted ULEZ expansion delayed and fairer (?), wants Sutton successful smarter travel plan rolled out wider - increased cycling by 75% and cut car use by 6%, free hire bikes on Sundays (yay).  A cyclist.

Sadiq Khan - says he was responsible for enabling rollout of LTN funding.  A little misleading, the LTN went from government to London Boroughs via an application process, whereas for the rest of the country local authorities bid directly to government.  I expect this was a quick pragmatic decision by government as the best way to get the money distributed when we were still in lockdown.  Mayor's strategy - safer streets,boost active and public transport.  Net zero ambitions more advanced than many other parts of UK

Howard Cox, Reform - scrap ULEZ, LTNs and 20mph.  Get our country back.  Believes Highway Code changes were authored by an asylum inmate, and are a cyclists charter (obviously doesn't understand changes to Highway Code which clarified cyclists' position in the road, but otherwise was more about better cyclists behaviour).  Scrap excessively wide cycle lanes (I can only think of the Embankment, which is probably one of the least of motorists issues).  Expect will split the Tory vote.

Changes to the Highway Code

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-highway-code-8-changes-you-need-to-know-from-29-january-2022

Includes:

• when people are crossing or waiting to cross at a junction, other traffic should give way
  • if people have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, the people crossing have priority and the traffic should give way
  • people driving, riding a motorcycle or cycling must give way to people on a zebra crossing and people walking and cycling on a parallel crossing

A parallel crossing is similar to a zebra crossing, but includes a cycle route alongside the black and white stripes.

I've not examined the manifesto's in depth and much of the above is from statements on X, public meetings, media, and the like.  Happy to be corrected.  And yes I did plagiarise much of this!

Personally disappointed that the hierarchy of road users didn't go further, ie assume that it is the fault of the larger vehicle where there is a collision until shown otherwise.

Not sure if you are merely making statements or if there is a question which comes out of the above???????????????  🤣

Its an arse about face in saying that the changes were not a cyclists charter as Cox says.  If it was we'd have the assumption that in an accident the larger class of vehicle is at fault until proved otherwise.  But can't find the term for this or the countries that have this already.  But not directly relevant to the Mayoral election so feel free to ignore.

There now follows a party election broadcast on behalf of the Labour party....

2 hours ago, malumbu said:

Sadiq Khan: "I funded and approved this election message"!

Is the pasting of the Highway Code meant to be there....?

I just got a leaflet from Susan Hall. She's going all in on being anti-ULEZ and anti-LTN (a bold strategy considering when the local Tories tried to turn the last local election into a referendum on LTNs, they got pumped) and minimising any mention that she's a Conservative (the word "Conservative" appears once on the leaflet, which may be a clue that their brand is more toxic than a 20 year old diesel engine...).