Visiting Israel...

youandiaredominoes

Hi there

I'm planning s visit to Israel for October. Just wondering what everyone's tips are for seeing the sights. I've got a week out there and don't mind travelling around each day to see all the main spots. Is it best to hire a car? Get a public bus? Where is best to stay? I am going with two other people and we would like to do it on a bit of a budget if possible... Some of the tour packages look extortionate. Is it best to arrange own transport and accommodation and they pay for day tours of major places? Open to ideas and suggestions. We'll be starting off in Tel Aviv.

Many thanks in advance

I don't think you need a package tour, seems like you'ld be paying a premium for what is actually a pretty safe country for tourists. One of my good friends lives in Tel Aviv so I stayed with her but I did stay in a perfectly fine hostel in Jerusalem for a few days which was cheap. I definitely recommend Jerusalem of course and you need a few days there I'd say if you don't want to rush. Tel Aviv is a vibrant city with good night life, not much culture but a fun city and no need for transport-it's small enough to walk around although try to get a decent map. I also really recommend visiting the dead sea and it's very easy to get there by coach on a day trip from Jerusalem although I know you can also stay overnight in the desert. I also went on a day trip to a site known as Masada, again easily accessible by coach from Jerusalem, which was very interesting and overlooked some stunning desert landscape. I was completely on my own without my friend in Jerusalem and on my day trips and had no problems navigating my way around. I reckon you could take some pretty amazing trips by rented car into the desert but in all honesty without a local present it might not be the best idea.

Also, be warned that in entering or exiting the country you could come in for some heavy questioning at the airport. It was a nightmare for me as I have a muslim surname (although am technically Jewish and actually atheist!) but I had planned for the interrogation and got my friend write a letter to show them- they even called her to check and made me wait ages!!! Just try to stay calm if you get interrogated, be patient, and go with the flow because unfortunately it is the way it is there. You'll need an address where you'll be staying to show them so make sure you take down the details of your hostel/hotel, maybe a print out of the booking.

Just to add I've heard from my friend that Eilat is pretty tacky so I wouldn't recommend there. The Negev desert looks nice but I didn't get a chance to visit. I think crossing over to Jordan is pretty easy as long as you've applied for your visa- I think you can get the visa in 48 hours from Israel if you decided you wanted to check it out. I wish I'd been more organised and done that as would have loved to have checked out Petra. I guess with a week though that idea is out as you won't really have time.

Been a long time since I was there, but with just a week: ration your time to one night in Tel Aviv, rest of the time split between Jersualem and somewhere like Acre in Galilee from where you can visit all the major sites and more.

Avoid Bethlehem unless you really want to see it for religious or historical reasons, not much there...

Bus and train travel is easy and safe with the usual precautions. I'd get a copy of Lonely Planet, my diary is in the attic somewhere.

Petra in Jordan is easy to get to, but at least 8 hours by bus.

As zeban says avoid Eilat, a middle-eastern Benidorm