Nursery Change HELP!

mysticmark

Hi

Unfortunately the state nursery our 3yr 3m old daughter has just started at (in F Hill, would rather not name) is well below our expectations in terms of it being 95% free play (aimless wandering, quite risky physically too) and 5% uninspiring focus time, and apparently low-motivated, tired staff, among other things. Basically seems like a big playcare, but with no fun songs at all! Though Im sure time and some new friends would definitely improve things, those and more points are so basic and unacceptable to us and we are sure they wont change.

We feel v silly now not to have gone with some of our instincts from visits rather than ofsted data, assurances from staff and our own money-saving - that altogether made us believe any doubts were probably misplaced.

So now, having relaxed about nursery since early summer we are suddenly desperate to find sthg. We are now thinking a private nursery 3 days a week; even just 3 days is a huge ouch financially but bullet-biting time it seems. Concerned also that having agreed back in May that state funds for 15 hours would go to current place it might be hard to rearrange - havent mentioned anything yet.

We would really appreciate any suggestions after this big disappointment.

We are based next to Horniman gardens, moved here 18 months ago, and are able to drive a bit if necessary - as far as Goose Green ish say.

A) Can you recommend somewhere truly excellent with enthusiastic fun friendly staff and a lovely safe environment?

B) Do you happen to know somewhere that is at least very good that has places for 3 days?

C) Do you know rules about changing nursery having signed an agreememt? Would we be in danger of losing our 15 hrs/week funding or not?

We visited Mother Goose, First Steps and Piplings before - all apparently v good - but there are so many and of course everyone smiles and puts on a fab show for visitors and we really cant screw up again!

All advice hugely appreciated

Thank you

Oh, poor you. That is a hard decision to make. I feel gor you.

Have a look at the german kindergarten in the dietrich bonhoeffer church in FH.

It's new, they used to have one in dulwich but openend a second one over there.

My son went to the dulwich one and he loved every minute.

Excellent staff, carefully planned day, lots of garden time, fun and happy children.

Really good. My son went to Nelly's as well, but this is nothing compared to

this one. Don't be put off by not being/speaking german. A lot of kids had no german background.

I can wholeheartly recommend it.

mysticmark Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> A) Can you recommend somewhere truly excellent

> with enthusiastic fun friendly staff and a lovely

> safe environment?

> B) Do you happen to know somewhere that is at

> least very good that has places for 3 days?

> C) Do you know rules about changing nursery having

> signed an agreememt? Would we be in danger of

> losing our 15 hrs/week funding or not?

>

> We visited Mother Goose, First Steps and Piplings

> before - all apparently v good - but there are so

> many and of course everyone smiles and puts on a

> fab show for visitors and we really cant screw up

> again!

>

> All advice hugely appreciated

>

> Thank you

Sorry I can't recommend a local nursery, but if you work in central London, the Montessori nursery near Waterloo Station is excellent. My daughter has been there for a year, and we're all very happy.

When I was looking for nurseries at the last minute last Autumn (returned to work with short notice when an excellent opportunity arose), I found that a lot of private nurseries had days available if you can be flexible about which days.

The rules about changing nurseries should be in your contract with your current nursery. For example, I think our nursery requires a standard period of notice. I can't remember whether it's one month notice or two, similar to terminating a rental contract I seem to recall.

I think the 15 hours of free-funding is then cancelled for your old nursery, and your new nursery will have to re-apply. So I can't see that there is any big problem with that. The funding is a grant for your child. The old nursery no longer can claim it once your child is not enrolled. That should free up the new nursery to claim the grant in your child's name once she's enrolled.

Do speak to Southwark Family Information Services if you have any questions. In the past I've found them very helpful and supportive on the phone. Good luck. xx

My older son was at Blossoms Montessori, which isn't too far for you....just down Underhill Road. We love it. We're hoping my younger son can start then when he turns 3 next Spring. It can be difficult to get in touch with them as teachers are busy teaching all day and they probably do have a waiting list, but worth a try!

I don't know how far you're willing to travel, but our son has just left puddleducks in nunhead (not far from brenchley gardens). he was there for 2 years and we loved it. fantastic staff and the manager is brilliant (ex teacher, so she knows her stuff). I don't know about places though I'm afraid......

I don't know if they have spaces, but I would definitely recommend Goodrich School Nursery. Our daughter was there last year and it was lovely. They do the currently recommended "free play" thing really well, each day setting up the play areas differently to fire the children's imaginations. It was also clear that the teachers talk to the children, get to know them and encourage them as individuals.