Gardening tips & advice for December

Gardeners world

Not too cold so far, but remember last year? I do!!!

I know gardens are the last thing on your mind at this time of year, but as a gardener I must insist!

So;

1.Lawns.As the seasons were late this year the trees are still shedding their leaves, rake, blow or brush them off your lawns if you are to keep your lawn in good condition for next spring. Trim the edges of the borders & keep your lawnmower handy as the grass will keep growing above 5degs. But don't cut too short. Keep off the lawns in the event of frost or snow. I know, what a kill joy!

2. Clear out drains & gutters to avoid flooding when the rain comes. Clear all debris off ponds & water features, put a ball in your ponds & take it out often to prevent a build up of gases. Service electric pumps & stop feeding the fish.

3. Clean up or power wash your wood furniture, sheds, pergolas, archways, trellises & decks,then apply a wood preservative to keep off the moss & verdigris until spring.

4. If it snows, knock the snow off your trees & shrubs to prevent them stressing & breaking. Check ties are secure or tie in new ones to shrubs & especially roses to keep them stable in the wind.

5. Lift terracotta pots off the ground with little support legs to prevent cracking, or if old, take them in or wrap them.

6. Take watering systems off the taps & store them somewhere warm. Put away hoses so they don't freeze & go brittle in the spring. Lag outside taps & turn off the water to them if you can.

7. Prune trees & shrubs with clean downward facing cuts, using a pruning paint for larger branches.

8. Still warm enough to plant fruit trees & shrubs. Prepare the ground well & use plenty of good compost well heeled in. Get your plants from a good reputable nursery.

9. Wildlife care: put out a consistant supply of seeds & lard balls, along with fresh water for the birds, they will reward you with their colours & company throughout the winter. Keep your feeding base away from the cats.

Finally to wish you all a wonderful happy Christmas, look after each other, it can be a very stressful time of year. Have a care for those less fortunate than us & a big thank you to all my customers & The East Dulwich Forum for all the work you have given me & my team this year. Please continue to use the well recommended & qualified gardeners on this forum.From your comments, there are some amazing ones.We have some space for work currently, & are happy to offer advice, quotes & designs free of charge

Nigel

Just a thought. If you're looking for a different & original present this Christmas, why not buy a shrub, plant or tree this year. It will bring long lasting pleasure & remembrance. I'm down at my nursery a couple of times before Christmas if you can't find anything locally. Let me know

Nigel 07961888253

• 2 weeks later...

Archived