working mums - role models required!

Hello

I'm about to go back to work after my first baby, and I don't feel I want to work full time (I'm a lawyer) in the city again - but I do still want to maintain an interesting and busy career. I am thinking of different options, including going freelance. If I'm going to make changes to my lifestyle, I want it to work when my child's at school (so needs picking up at 3) as well as now when he's in full-time daycare. I don't know too many people with slightly older kids, hence asking for advice here.

So - I'm looking for examples of mums of kids aged 5 and above who have managed to combine an interesting career and being there for their kids. Clearly this is totally subjective and everyone has different ideas of what it means to keep their career going and also how much they wanted to be around at home but I'm looking to hear from people who are happy with their balance. In particular I'd like to hear from anyone who has slightly unusual working hours such as contract work, and how they manage the childcare to cover this. I'd also love to know what doesn't work!

Thanks in advance!

Jo

Hi Jo,

My children are a bit younger than 5 (age 4 and nearly 3) however, I am also a lawyer and have managed to work part time fitting in with the children whilst maintaining decent work.

I have been working as GC for a medium sized company 3 days a week for the last couple of years. Basically they needed a GC but couldn't afford one full time, I was happy to do the role but only wanted part time so a perfect combination. I've recently reduced to two days and started to take on project work, mainly for blue chip companies so a great contrast.

I have just taken on a maternity leave contract for 1.5 days per week so now work 3.5 days a week temporarily, mainly from home and days to suit me.

Childcare wise, my children go to the local preschool (830 to 330) on the days I work with a childminder collecting them, feeding them and having them until 6pm. My daughter starts school in September and this arrangement will continue. On my half day they just go to the preschool with me collecting them and us having the afternoon together. We then have all day Friday together too.

When they were tiny we had a nanny 3 days a week.

It does feel as though life is a juggling act but I love being back at work part time, I wouldn't want full time work but have found 3 days to be a nice balance albeit the days I work I don't do the school pick up - to do so just makes the day too short. Although I could do this I would be catching up of an evening which isn't ideal.

I am a lawyer too and work for the Government Legal Service. The pay is rubbish but I can honestly say I can't rate the work highly enough for its intellectual stimulation and challenging nature. It is also pretty good in terms of family friendliness. I work FT but one day a week from home and start and finish early to work round pick up times. To give an example, I've had 6 line managers over the last 10 years. Not one of them has worked 5 days a week full time in the office and 4 of them have been men! DM me if you'd like to chat.

I have 6yo daughter and contract in IT the City (although same contract for 14 years) I work 26hrs over 4 days, starting at 8am but varying finish times which enables 3 school pickups and 1 drop off a week - just enough to keep in direct contact with the school, teacher and other mums/carers, which I feel is very important. My partner drops daughter at breakfast club on my working days, so he gets to his desk by 9am. She is picked up by my child minder 2 days a week.

I feel I am lucky enough to have the perfect balance between work/home life. I love my job - it's very stimulating and challenging and I thrive working as part of a team. Fortunately, my boss is very accommodating and allows flexibility when I need it.

Friday's is my day off but is spent doing "house-stuff". I only have one child but don't think I could manage the home if I worked full time. Too stressful!

I was in a city law firm but swapped after child No 2 (I now have 3 children - 7, 5 and 2).

I went in-house as GC (self employed as a consultant) - I work 4 days a week, with much more civilised hours than private practise. As a consultant I am much more flexible on leave (I take most school holidays off) and e.g. making appointments. I treasure my Mondays with the littlest and the big ones after school, and try not to do house stuff!

For childcare - I have youngest in a nursery, and an au pair who lives in who does drop offs and pick ups (and lots of other things as well!).

I managed in the past with after school clubs, longer nursery days etc, but felt stressed at having to get back to do pick ups all the time and as we luckily have enough space in the house swapped to this route instead.

Generally I think I do pretty well on the work/life balance whilst still remaining in a career I love. Thats not to say I'm not constantly knackered, but I think you get that just from being a parent of threee small kids anyway - work is a respite ;)

Hi Jo

Check out Obelisk (its a freelance type agency for lawyers) - I just found it. I've been on career break and mat leave for 6 years and my youngest is about to start school in September and I am considering my options. I worked at the GLS like Yak but even with 3 days a week with my husband working v long hours it didn't really work for us. Otherwise Axiom or BLP have their own freelance arm. Best of luck...

• 3 weeks later...
Not much to add to the above but just wanted to say that I am a lawyer too, working 3 days/ week, in house in media. I have 2 pre-schoolers. I have found that in house seems to be much more flexible with regard to number of days working/ WFH than private practice. Remember that often jobs are not advertised as part time or flexible but when you approach companies setting out your expertise and what great value you are if you are willing to take a compromised salary in return for shorter days or fewer days than full time, openings do happen. Good luck.