Warfarin and other anti-coagulants.

Margot

Hi

I'm doing some research into blood thinners, especially Warfarin and whether patients are properly monitored after they are prescribed it. Warfarin and other blood thinners are routinely prescribed after operations for people who have heart disease. A couple of elderly people I know, including my father-in-law, have been prescribed Warfarin and then suffered severe bleeding. I'd be interested in hearing any stories form people who have had similar experiences or know someone who has.

Thanks

Margot

Hi Margot, I had warfarin prescribed for 6 months after finding a DVT. I was looked after in Kings and the treatment was exemplary. I ended up having blood tests about three times a week minimum, as my INR was difficult to manage (I had other conditions that needed managing, one in particular affected how I interacted with Warfarin). The main point was to not to vary lifestyle whilst on it, even to have an alcoholic drink meant I had to ring in to let the clinic know (it would throw my INR out), but I only did that once over the time. Diet can have an influence so certain foods were to be avoided. I did have a couple of occasions regarding bleeding, but again because of another condition, I was able to handle that myself - I wouldn't advise that for other people, my case was different. All in all, the treatment at Kings was superb and I felt that they took the whole thing really seriously, which overwhelmed me at the time as I didn't have a clue about this new ailment or treatment. I would say, which medics deny, that I felt Warfarin affected the way I thought and my memory - it was a muggy time for me, but that could be to do blood levels. I hope this helps and that your father in law won't have to be on it for two long.