BT broadband down 3.4.14

It's now back - after just over 6 hours (and a couple of false starts as they brought service back)- but this is the first general outtage I have had of BT broadband in over 10 years - and the message on the (free) service update line suggested that a whole heap of exchanges fell over at the same time - which is very unusual in my (I used to work for BT) experience. Suggests that something like a software update went wrong to take so many (but mainly in London and the South East) out together.

Outlook at Work was also down, we had no email access from Monday afternoon until this morning. I had to phone a hospital in Peterborough on Tuesday and they were also affected. According to our IT Team, there were problems with the server, which obviously provided access for many parts of the country

Throughout the broadband outtage BT's own public e-mail system ([email protected]) and portal were operational - I was accessing them via my mobile - so I do not think the Outlook server problem was a related issue (or indeed a BT problem). The Outlook servers aren't run by BT (not at least as part of their local exchange based broadband delivery, I don't know whether they or their supporting network are outsourced to BT) and are in a different part of the 'network hierarchy'.

I lose my BT Internet Service many times every day. (10 Times)

Cannot update/ download anything more than a few Mgbytes.

Fails on things like iTunes update which means iTunes crashes and needs to be uninstalled / reinstalled.

Which is a real pain to do.

I only stay with BT because of the hassle of changing my e-mails.

It is a crap service. (Used to be brilliant)

Then they took away Free Web Hosting. (Which was very basic with no PHP , MySQL)

Now they are trying to sell me BT Infinity. Another pile of Poo.

Simple Port Forwarding made complex. If not impossible.

BT Helpdesk unable to confirm if facility is provided.

So don't want to commit to new contract.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I only stay with BT because of the hassle of

> changing my e-mails.

>

>

xxxxxxx

Foxy, if you change to gmail, it is really easy. They import all your existing email contacts and will also forward emails from your existing inbox for a month - at least they did this when I changed to gmail a while ago.

Plus you can still manually check your old email account (at least you can with AOL, who I was with before).

For broadband provision I am with Plusnet and have found them excellent - even though BT is their umbrella company, I believe. Their customer service is brilliant, and they are very good value for money.

Don't know about free web hosting, but we pay peanuts for the http://www.thegooseisout.com hosting since changing to a Wordpress based website, and it's been fine.

Hi Sue..

I have a Google account with G-mail..

I have 5 email accounts with btinternet.com (For specific emails)

I also have 2/3 further e-mail accounts with 4Logic Solutions where my web site is hosted.

These are already re-directed to my primary G-mail account as 4Logic Solutions does not allow

transfers to btinternet.com (Cross Domain Restrictions) BT is not a trusted domain.

http://www.dulwichnightout.com (still very much under construction)

Does have an 'Events' page including links to http://www.thegooseisout.com

Still working on it as some CSS transitions may not work due to Cross-Browser restrictions . :(

So already complicated set up.

Just P'd off with BT

Foxy

I have not used BT's ADSL service for some time (now on Infinity) - but when I did it was pretty stable - drop outs on my main computer (which I did have) were just on that computer - as other devices showed service still available. One problem I discovered was that my wireless receiver in my computer was single band, but my router was two band, sometimes when the router changed band to get an optimal signal my computer dropped out. I have also had some software conflicts on my computer which seemed to cause drop-outs (and running up to 3 different browsers simultaneously can't have helped). I did also once have some interference from a faulty fridge.

But I certainly have not experienced the problems you have - maybe you are terminating on a flaky line-card in the exchange - or possibly even cross-connected within a network flexibility point? Have you talked to BT about this? Frequent service drop-outs are not acceptable and shouldn't be happening - although it may not be the underlying ADSL service responsible.

I do find that re-booting the router fairly regularly (every few days) seems to 'clean things up' - just as it does with my desktop, which I do tend to run for days at a time between re-boots.

Twoddle, my BT Infinity was also slow. Spent an hour trying, and failing to do their speed tests and a few others. Eventually got 0.4Mbps out of it (about 1% of the 30-40 promised). Not sure whether it was a coincidence but, when I restarted the Openreach box, then the Home Hub that connects to it, and gave it all 5 minutes to settle down, I'm back at 30-40Mbps download again. Could be suspicious, or could be luck of the draw. Worth trying it a few times though to see if you benefit.