bug infestation - help!

bloonoo

Hello!

To save calling out a pest control person, does anyone know what these little bugs are? They started appearing in our downstairs bathroom and have multiplied and are now in our kitchen too which is gross. They are about 2mm long, have 6 legs and a weird snout like thing. (photo attached, this is them dead in the waterbowl - the bottom right thing is a fly!)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwQAh3crfZojRU5Cd216eWhZUGVJekRlMldMaEtrNkpDNHRj/edit?usp=sharing

They also appear to like water as they climb into the cat's water bowl and then drown...and they love the bath too.

Anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them? We have killed many but they keep returning...

Thanks in advance!

yes that is exactly what they are, thank you!!! now how to get rid of them....oddly enough they aren't in any of our grains, and mainly stay in the bathroom - no grain in there! Our bathroom backs on to our next door neighbour's garden so wondering if they're on their plants and have found a way in...

• 4 weeks later...

Nouth Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Slight deviation here from your weevils but does

> anyone know the best way to get rid of moth which

> we seem suddenly to be inundated with?

xxxxxxxx

Do you mean clothes/carpet moths?

There are loads of threads on moths on here if you do a search.

I tried everything a couple of years back, and the only thing in the end which worked was chemicals.

You can get:

* Sprays to spray on fabrics (wall hangings etc) which will not only kill the larvae but stay in the fabric and kill anything which subsequently hatches out from eggs still there

* Sprays to kill the flying (male) and creeping (female) moths when you see them - I now keep a spray near every room, but now hardly ever need them.

* Pieces of impregnated paper which you put amongst your clothing (I found these very effective. They don't smell or make your clothes smell).

* Things which you use in an infested room, shut all the doors and windows and go away for a while.

Things I tried which didn't work were:

* Anything with a lavender or sandalwood scent (supposed to deter moths) - I spent a fortune on little sachets, little wooden things to go on hangers and rails etc etc.. The moths just ignored them.

* Sticky traps (only thing they caught was my partner's long hair, which had to be cut off :)) In any case they are very cruel).

I very very rarely see a moth now, however I do recommend you deal with the problem immediately. Mine started when I saw one moth fly out from an old jumper, but I didn't take much notice, then things rapidly multiplied and it did take some time to finally sort the problem.

I have some wall hangings and cushions which were very munched because I didn't spot the munching in time.

If you mean large moths, they are attracted to light (clothes moths don't like light I think). So turn the light off where you don't want them to be, and turn a light on where you want them to go ..... eg in the garden ....