Tips for settling an aupair

I am going back to work full time in September and we are looking to find an aupair (we're in discussions with a girl from Germany aged 19). Does anyone have any tips on which English Language schools have been good for other young people who have come to live with you? I am hoping she will be able to make friends at the school and set herself up with a healthy social life. Any tips on how to help her transition into life here as smooth as possible gratefully received. (We live in Forest Hill and was wondering if she might be able to link up with families with German connections over in Herne Hill?)

Many thanks.

Hi Jolly

We have just started a small English Class in Dulwich for au pairs, so they can meet other au pairs and learn English in a small group with a focus on useful Language for au pairs.This is particularly true at this time of the year, where other language classes are full.

Our facebook page is:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/English-Teaching-in-Dulwich/1509284502625768

or you can email me at:[email protected] for more information/ private classes.

We are running a 4 week block session after half term and intend to run courses in September, and possibly over the summer if there is enough demand.

Being a family member of sports clubs, such as JAGS or Dulwich Sports Club is a useful way of meeting other au pairs. There are a number of facebook au pair groups that she can join to meet others.She may want to stay clear of German families ( it won't help her English ).Good luck

We're also in Forest Hill and we helped facilitate introductions for our au pairs (now on a 2nd) via EDF posting like this one, we just provided an initial screening rather then sending her into the cyber wilds in a language she wasn't 100% in, once done we encouraged them to contact directly. From what I can tell there is a broad range of girls (not come across any male au pairs yet...) from a variety of countries (mostly european) and as @womanofdulwich says it is better for their English practice to have a wider network than just their native language.

They tend to he respectful of each others situations, knowledge share and introduce each other into the wider network, our previous aupair gave an email handover of contacts/friends to our current girl when she had to return due to family ill health.

Re English schools our au pair has just started a course in Lewisham, we gave her a long list to check out that fitted her requirements, but I will also tell her to check out the Fb groups

Like any 'mum' skill never sure if I'm getting it 100% right all the time but as an 'au pair mum' but have decided to take the role as a facilitator rather that organise their lives to the nth degree. Please feel free to message back once your au pair is in place.