feedback/advice on recessed extractor fans

Bubster

Good morning EDF users. We are building a new kitchen extension and considering installing a recessed extractor fan - i.e. one that is flush with the ceiling rather than the standard chimney/flue type. Would appreciate any feedback from those of you with such a contraption. Is yours effective? How noisy is it compared to standard models? Much trouble for your builder to install?

Many thanks!

i would install the usaul wall mounted ones that are flush with wall .the fan in ceiling would still need a flue and there would still be the need to make hole in wall to fit vent.also at a later time when it may break down it is far easier to get to and repair or replace.and cheaper to install

Thanks, PPS. Do you mean there are models where the flu/chimney doesn't protrude from the wall? Can you show me? Assume the hood itself is still over the hob, though, right? The look we're trying to achieve is a wall and head space above the counter units and hob that is completely clutter-free, hence the possibility of installing one of the recessed ceiling ones:

http://www.elica.co.uk/view_products_parent.php?cat=ceiling-mounted-island-and-corner-hoods

Any other comments/advice from the Forum?

Thanks.

yes you can even install an air brick so all level with the brickwork .if it just for an extrarctor fan then nearly all of them dont need an external escape there all filtered .

Thanks, both! Yes we definitely want to extract to the outside while we have the opportunity due to building a whole new kitchen. But these recessed ceiling models are fairly uncommon so that's why we were hoping also to hear from those who have installed them already to see if they are worth the extra cost.

Hi have just looked into this as we wanted one for our kitchen. They are great, more powerful than regular extractors and quieter too. Only problem is that the space between our joists is too small so we can't do it :(

Elica Cloud 9 is lovely but also look at Caple, Franke & Westin - all very good models. Someone on Mumsnet recommended her Westin one as very good. Just talk to the builder to make sure there is enough space in the joists and that they run the correct way for the duct to go out. Good luck, am envious as I really wanted one!

Talk to Marc in Bells on Lordship Lane as he trained with Elica and has looked into ceiling extractors. Very helpful!

Archived