Private Pilates lessons

Oldest son (13) diagnosed with scoliosis and we now need to work out how we're going to get him to improve his posture. Pilates and yoga have been recommended by consultant but general Pilates class probably not suitable for a self conscious 13 year old. Does anyone know of a trainer in ED? How much should we expect to pay?

I think ESPH offer private classes, and I can highly recommend their studio sessions which might be more beneficial than mat work? They are a physio-led gym so wd have thought it would be a good place to start. It is pretty expensive doing the studio sessions though. I think there are independent practitioners locally too so might be worth asking around.

Hi there

Sorry to hear your son has just been diagnosed with scoliosis. I also suffer from this.

As you will probably know and will have been told by the consultant, now is a crucial time to get some corrective physio/pilates as he (and his spine) is growing rapidly. Have you tried Scoliosis SOS? http://www.scoliosissos.com/

They run an intensive 4 week course tailored to each individual and the results are very impressive. I visited earlier this year and wished I had been sent there when I had first been diagnosed. Unfortunately for me, my scoliosis was too far gone and surgery was the only option.

If you are keen to pursue the pilates route, then you could try the Laban Centre in Deptford.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much everyone. Lots to look at. V interested in Scoliosis SOS. I also have it and was diagnosed late and ended up with lower spine damage (not helped by high impact basketball I played for over 10 years). Seeing the x-Ray of my son's spine made me weep. His is an unusual curve which could affect his chest and lungs if we don't get him more upright by using his core. I was a bit disappointed that the NHS don't seem to fund therapy.

Bogusha's pilates classes at Jags, thursday and sunday eves. I think the lower age limit is 12 and the classes are very mixed and friendly. She offers a slightly more dynamic, physio led class and having scoliosis myself, can honestly say it's helped me a lot.