New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

Two new coffee shops and a deli all next door to each other in Dulwich Village! They'll be a few doors down from the existing deli/coffee shop, and around the corner from the existing coffee shop, and down the street from the deli/coffee shop that's next to the barber/coffee shop, opposite the restaurant that does coffee and the bakery/coffee shop...

I do like coffee, and it would be great if Amy of these places opened early or did more caff style food, but I wish the Dulwich Estate was more considered about which tenants it chooses so that there is a balance. Other big landlords are...

https://www.dulwichsociety.com/

Marvellous Greens and Beans is now open by the station in East Dulwich (in what was the old library!) - just popped in and it looks really nice. Mostly fruit and veg but with a decent refill section of dried pulses, beans, nuts etc. Coffee was good too.

https://www.marvellousgreensandbeans.com/landing-page/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8vqGBhC_ARIsADMSd1D3EiACI46jN5zf_PN-qgAaGLvJx-qtq_Nar2KHInWYMeDVFfFynrMaAlfzEALw_wcB

Dietary cholesterol has zero effect on serum (blood) cholesterol. Enjoy your cheese!

legalalien Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That's not good news for local cheese fans with

> high cholesterol levels (me).

>

>

> Metallic Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > There is a cheese shop opening next to Au Ciel

> in

> > Dulwich Village.

Milk contains fat, which you can turn into cholesterol, but any cholesterol you actually eat will be excreted. Both eggs and I think crustacea are high in cholesterol, comparatively, but eating them does not raise your cholesterol levels.

However there is now more concern about dietary sugars than fats, as far as health is concerned. Doctors would be happier for you to consume very little of anything!

I've tried to give cheddar a bit of a miss and stick to mozzarella and feta (which is what the bhf seems to recommend, thanks for the link). Seems to be genetic in my case. New cheese shop - if you ever read this- perhaps you could have a section/ some flagged up low fat cheeses :) Or plenty of crackers, celery, apples and pears. I love the accompaniments nearly as much as cheese.

I had thought it was going to open, but it?s been like that so long that I?m no wondering if it?s just an advert. The nunhead one looks great though.

Wrote:

> Does anyone have any knowledge of Nunhead's El

> Vermut opening on Grove Vale, opposite the Cherry

> Tree?

There is an Italian cafe called Ciao that has opened up on Grove Vale in the former Grove Cafe premises. Homemade food including bread. I?ve only had coffee and pastries so far but it was delicious. They will be opening evenings soon. Spoilt for choice at that end of ED now.

There's nothing wrong with fat from natural sources, like animals and dairy. Humans have been consuming them for thousands of years. We only became unhealthy when we started adding in industrial seed oils, ultra refined grains and sugar. The BHF are quoting outdated and inaccurate diet dogma.

The dietary fat guidelines that influenced our own were not based on any real scientific evidence, and precipitated the explosion of obesity and chronic disease. Eat like your great great grandparents did, or better still, their grandparents. Eat real food, in as close to its natural state as possible. Think about it logically, meat and cheese are not new things, chronic disease is.

AylwardS Wrote:

> Fat is more of an issue than cholesterol for

> cheese. Everything in moderation springs to mind.

>

>

> This is from the British Heart Foundation.

> https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-ma

> tters-magazine/nutrition/cheese

>

> Cheese definitely isn?t totally out, just smaller

> portions or less often.

What Alice said. Tara fitness is woefully uninformed. The majority of people in past centuries did not live long enough to develop chronic diseases as we know them. That is what accounts for the explosion in cancers and illnesses from dietary influences - although certainly not helped by over-processed foods

Anyway - back to new shops before this thread gets lounged (and it is pretty useful).

Anyone know anything about the vermouth place?

The old betting place opposite the station in ED hasn't been let yet so will be interesting to see what business can pay rates of 75k pa there! We must at some point meet pizza saturation!

Anything new opening on northcross in the empty units on there? Also had heard that the old Franklins farm shop was going to be a greengrocers but haven't walked by for a while - is that likely to open soon? Basically still hoping for something more along the lines of 'pretty traditional' or the one that used to be in Herne Hill by the station.

That was rather rude, and completely inaccurate. Average life expectancy was lower in previous centuries because of the high rates of infant mortality, deaths during childbirth and from acute diseases and infections (this is by no means an exhaustive list). Those surviving to early adulthood greatly increased their likelihood of living a longer life. Don't confuse life expectancy - which is largely influenced by environment - with lifespan, which has changed a lot less than you'd expect. Interesting article by the BBC here.

Age alone cannot account for the diseases that were basically unheard of 150 years ago. Fun fact: Type 2 Diabetes mellitis was previously called 'adult onset diabetes', until children started developing it. Fatty liver disease was something that only affected alcoholics, and cancer and heart disease - which are presenting in younger and younger people were extremely rare.

I'll repeat my message "just eat real food" and leave it at that (happy to talk over PM though). If anyone's interested in learning how it all went so terribly wrong, here's an exquisitely well researched and written book by the author Nina Teicholz :)

Peckhampam Wrote:

> What Alice said. Tara fitness is woefully

> uninformed. The majority of people in past

> centuries did not live long enough to develop

> chronic diseases as we know them. That is what

> accounts for the explosion in cancers and

> illnesses from dietary influences - although

> certainly not helped by over-processed foods

• 2 weeks later...

northernmonkey Wrote:

> Anyway - back to new shops before this thread gets

> lounged (and it is pretty useful).

>

> Anyone know anything about the vermouth place?

>

> The old betting place opposite the station in ED

> hasn't been let yet so will be interesting to see

> what business can pay rates of 75k pa there! We

> must at some point meet pizza saturation!

>

> Anything new opening on northcross in the empty

> units on there? Also had heard that the old

> Franklins farm shop was going to be a greengrocers

> but haven't walked by for a while - is that likely

> to open soon? Basically still hoping for

> something more along the lines of 'pretty

> traditional' or the one that used to be in Herne

> Hill by the station.

The Herne Hill greengrocer is still there.

Some new(ish) restaurants in Peckham, that I have really enjoyed and haven't seen mentioned on these pages:

- 'Whole Beast' @ Kanpai London Sake Brewery. In Copeland Park, attached to the Sake Brewery. Amazing cooking - mostly BBQ stuff, with quite innovative and exciting flavours - Japanese influence I think. It's quite informal (no waiters, you just go and order, and collect your food when the buzzer buzzes) but for me it's the most exciting new Peckham restaurant for a while. Lots of outdoor seats - no booking necessary - has been plenty of space whenever I've visited (maybe apart from Friday and Saturday evening when sunny) - they have some indoor seats in the Sake brewery too. https://www.instagram.com/wholebeast/

- The new 'marketplace peckham' (near Morrison's, https://www.marketplacelondon.co.uk/peckham/home) has a lot of fun streetfood stalls. I really like Tianjin Dumplings (they make their own dumplings to order, and have other chinese street food too). AOneSushi is really good too - much better than standard high-street sushi - and they have a few other Japanese dishes. Marketplace Peckham is a good site to visit with kids - informal, lots of benches to sit on inside, and you can all order different food from different stalls. Churros, sweet shop, bubble tea, and other stalls I haven't yet tried.

- Mike's - very nice pizza - unusual flavours - sold by the slice - Copeland Park (where Forza Win was).

scarlettbanks Wrote:

> Some new(ish) restaurants in Peckham, that I have

> really enjoyed and haven't seen mentioned on these

> pages:

>

> - 'Whole Beast' @ Kanpai London Sake Brewery. In

> Copeland Park, attached to the Sake Brewery.

> Amazing cooking - mostly BBQ stuff, with quite

> innovative and exciting flavours - Japanese

> influence I think. It's quite informal (no

> waiters, you just go and order, and collect your

> food when the buzzer buzzes) but for me it's the

> most exciting new Peckham restaurant for a while.

> Lots of outdoor seats - no booking necessary - has

> been plenty of space whenever I've visited (maybe

> apart from Friday and Saturday evening when sunny)

> - they have some indoor seats in the Sake brewery

> too. https://www.instagram.com/wholebeast/

>

> - The new 'marketplace peckham' (near Morrison's,

> https://www.marketplacelondon.co.uk/peckham/home)

> has a lot of fun streetfood stalls. I really like

> Tianjin Dumplings (they make their own dumplings

> to order, and have other chinese street food too).

> AOneSushi is really good too - much better than

> standard high-street sushi - and they have a few

> other Japanese dishes. Marketplace Peckham is a

> good site to visit with kids - informal, lots of

> benches to sit on inside, and you can all order

> different food from different stalls. Churros,

> sweet shop, bubble tea, and other stalls I haven't

> yet tried.

>

> - Mike's - very nice pizza - unusual flavours -

> sold by the slice - Copeland Park (where Forza Win

> was).