Loft conversions in flats - southwark planning

youngone

Hi,

Does anybody have any experience with getting planning permission for their flat to have a loft conversion?

Any advice on issues or restrictions by the planning office?

Also, can you share what route you took, architect first or just used a loft conversion company?

Many thanks

I've done it. Went directly to the builders, who took the path of least resistance with respect to planning (i.e. they only built a very small dormer as they were confident it would go through planning first time). In hindsight, wish I'd gone to an architect, who would presumably submit more ambitious plans at first, then scale them down if rejected. And would also have the skills to make the most of the limited space.

Thanks for your reply Jeremy, good to know that at least dormers are allowed. We are hoping to make the most of the space but also would like to only go through planning once! Might be ambitious but this is where I thought it would be useful to find somebody or a company that has experience in the process.

JMT is correct. And the ?750 is only for written advice. Its a further ?300.00 if you would like a follow up consultation and all these costs are subject to VAT. ?1260 for advice on a planning application that is actually straight forward and if you adhere to their existing guidelines it won't have an issue.

The drawings for planning with a loft conversion are relatively easy to produce. In most cases the loft will be built to the full internal width of the party walls and to the hight of the existing ridge line. Front slope needs to stay the same and in most cases there is a 200mm step back from the new dormer wall to the existing rear facia of the building. There are some options on which material you clad the external facade of your conversion with but it may be specified by the planners what you must use.

With some restrictions on the external finish we find that the key to a nice loft conversion is a well thought out internal layout. You can also achieve nice features such as roof glazing and formed shelving/alcoves.

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Archived