Advice on putting flooring in attic

anelia

Hello,

We want to create some storage space in our attic. At the moment, there is insulation between the thin attic floor and our celing, with a few joists in place.

Am I correct in thinking that we would need someone to see how good the joists already in place are, and then perhaps add a few more joists if that would make the floor stronger and more supported? And then would it be ready to have the flooring put in place?

Has anyone done this kind of work? Any advice on what else would be needed? And of course any recommendations on good workers who wont charge an arm and a leg for this work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anelia

I had this done, though my loft was already part boarded.

Just increased the depth of insulation where necessary then nailed big sheets of chipboard (if memory serves) over the joists.

It's not a complicated job, a friend did mine but I'm sure any competent DIYer could do it :)

Be very careful! Joists in lofts are not designed to bear any weight. They are there to hold up the ceiling of the room below. Whilst you can board over them which helps to spread the load you won't be able to put huge amounts of weight up there.

Hi Sue and Salsaboy, thank you for your responses. salsaboy- Yes i completely understand that, that's great advice- but is it not possible and okay to add more joists, which are strong and suitable for the task required- ie to bear weight?

Archived