window knocker

well never had a window knocker, early hours this morning 2.30 our door bell went 3 times, looked out of the window saw nothing, checked our cctv cam nothing, no one was there, this is a strange thing as we have an electric door bell and when my friend visited and put on her car alarm my neighbours door bell would go off,obvioulsy on the same wave, i checked the street for any one in a vehicle no no one there, this is the first time this has happened to us in 7 years, has any one else exsperianced this problem with plug in electric door bell? so now door bell will be switched off of a night, thus getting a good undisturbed sleep.

sounds like a scam like the lady who knocks asking for money for cabs to hospital etc. I would give him 50p and tell him to go to a phone box and ring a relative to help him (or maybe ask him if he has his mobile on him so he can ring them himself!)

I think we just had the same guy knock on our door a few minutes ago. He claimed to be a neighbour but couldn't decide which side he was from when challenged. As soon as he mentioned red routes I barked that I'd read about him on here (in my most panicked/masculine voice) much to his confusion. Anyway he was a skinny black guy with slightly graying short hair if that sounds familiar to anyone with previous experience. He's not physically intimidating but not really the visitor you want at midnight. We're in the Choumert Road vicinity.

• 6 months later...

hi we had this happen alot in the nunhead area m about 5 years ago , they tend to pick early morning or late at night , as they want to catch you off guard .

our scammer , told us she needed ?25 for petrol to drive her car to canterbury hospital to see her dieing mother .

My boyfriend felt sorry feor her and gave her ?10 ! I drive to that part of the worlld alot and ?10 would get you there nd back ....

Some guy did something similar to my Brother a while ago - but it was request for petrol money...anyway out of for some reason my bro gave this guy a tenner, with the promise it would be returned the following day - only never to see him again... that was until 6 months later when the same guy knocked on the door with the same story.

In consequence he then got chased down the road.....think that says it all poppy bees

Just had this scam today at 8.30am.Not amused as he got me out of bed. I live on Lordship Lane.He was asking fo ?25. I had to close the door in his face he was that persistant.Young black guy. I then had the window knocking. Be on your guard folks.:X

I just can't believe so many people have fallen for this scam (okay, you are all obviously very kind people, unfortunately that can also lead to credulousness).

This also happened at The Surgery (where my mum works) a couple of years ago, only this time it was a white guy, nothing about him stood out, he just seemed 'normal' with I guess a South East London accent. He knocked on the window of The Surgies reception room window (from outside), although my mum (who is very precautious) tried to stop her friend, still gave him ?5 anyway. He was very persistent, with the same car excuse.

I'd spread the word to everyone we know, so nobody else falls into this trap again.

I can't believe it's been going on for soo long!

& bigbluess - Shocking!! =O

I wonder if its the same guy who scammed me for ?5 for 'petrol' whilst I was in my car waiting to turn onto Old Kent Road about 7 years ago? And then the same bloke stopped me as I was walking along another street in Bermondsey, about a year later! Same excuse though. I actually burst out laughing at his cheek and sent him packing. He wore a suit, if I remember correctly. He was very convincing, both times his opening line was (in an anxious tone) 'excuse me, I'm not a nutter or anyfink and I know you might fink I'm trying it on, but....'

If he has been running this scam for this length of time, I can only think its proving to be very lucrative!