former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Hi James. I'm talking about residential bins. The problem seems to be particularly bad from crystal palace road down to the bottom of the hill - people leave their residential bins out on the street on both sides of the road. On the left hand side of the road as you go down the hill there is room at the front if most people's properties to take the bins in. On the right hand side the issue may be more complicated as I think there are lots of flats.

I thought people were obligated to keep their bins on their own properties, except on collection day, but maybe I've got this wrong?

Thanks

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi flower,

> Camberwell Cemetery - Officers and their

> contractors have stated the 12 trees are diseased.

> I've alsready a query with them to expand on that

> and fully explain the details.

- - - - -

Any update on the tree butchery, JB?

Hallo James

I wonder if you could give me any information about Cherrycroft Care Home, Dewar St, Peckham, SE15, as is has transferred it's elderly residents to other Care Homes. I have spoken to CQC and they don't appear to have an answer for me. The Primary Care Trust is Southwark Council. I have an ongoing case with Cherry croft at the moment and I would like to know the reason for removal of residents.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Jean

UncleBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> James Barber Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Hi flower,

> > Camberwell Cemetery - Officers and their

> > contractors have stated the 12 trees are

> diseased.

> > I've alsready a query with them to expand on

> that

> > and fully explain the details.

> - - - - -

> Any update on the tree butchery, JB?

Any update at all, JB? It's been a while

Uncle Ben .Renata posted this on the Underhill Rd tree thread .

Re: Friday 7th June: Tree lopping has stopped re: brow of Underhill Rd

Posted by Renata Hamvas June 10, 10:46AM

Dear all is it the avenue of poplars? See email below or other trees (horse chestnuts are mentioned above). The poplars are being removed due to disease/safety reasons. I had a surgery at ED Community Centre on Saturday, the next Peckham Rye one isn't until 27th June, so please pm me or email me about this,

Renata

Dear Councillors Edwards, Hamvas and Mills.

I am writing to advise you of necessary works to an avenue of poplars in Camberwell New Cemetery.

The Poplar trees in question have been surveyed by an external consultant as part of the strategy target for surveying all of our parks trees. Unfortunately the poplar trees in question were found to be in a poor condition that represented a high risk to the users of the cemetery and the park.

The decision to remove these trees was not taken lightly and we fully appreciate the impact such a large number of trees can have when they are felled all together. The issues here are that a large number of the lower trunks are decayed. This means that there is little or no internal wood to support the weight of the tree canopies. The wood would have been decayed by a fungal pathogen leaving it in a pulpy condition over a number of years.

The reason for removing all of the trees is due to fact that once we start to remove the heavily decayed ones we expose the others to wind loading that they would not have been used to and their rooting systems will not be as wind firm. This means they are highly susceptible to wind throw and could fail at any point.

It is very difficult to quantify how long a decayed tree or a tree susceptible to wind throw could stand for and unfortunately because of that reason we are not in a position to retain them.

The altered state of the wood due to the fungi means that there is no treatment available to reverse the process of wood decaying fungi.

Because we recognise the impact this will have, we have already identified a planting scheme to replace these trees. This will consist of native mixed species to reduce the future risk of pathogen attack by having a mono culture avenue.

We intend to under plant with woodland flora to create an additional interest.

I would like to stress that this decision is one that is taken with regret.

Kind regards.

--------------------

Cllr Renata Hamvas

Labour Councillor For Peckham Rye Ward

[email protected]

Ward Surgeries

1st Friday, 6.30-7.30pm Rye Hill Park TRA Hall, Peckham Rye SE15

2nd Saturday,10-11am East Dulwich Community Centre, Darrell Rd SE22

4th Thursday (3rd in December), 6.30-7.30pm Nunhead Library, Gordon Rd SE15

Peckhamryelabour.blogspot.com

There seems to be a confusion here between work carried out on the Underhill Road side of Camberwell Old Cemetery - the initial post from Flower (removing boughs from horse chestnuts) and work in the New Cemetery - an avenue of poplars being removed. These are neither the same trees, nor the same cemetery.

My confidence in local Councillors would increase, if they could get sorted out about Camberwell OLD Cemetery, and Camberwell NEW Cemetery please.

These issues matter far too much for everyone, to allow 'blind spots'. It must be costing a great deal to hire tree surgeons and pay grass cutters; I want to see that taxpayers money stops going on ill thought out, untimely things that harm the biodiversity.

Mr Barber, last time I looked you had not read either of my PMs to you. Can the discussion get moving along, for the sake of the environmental health of the borough, please.

Hi James

Please could you find out why Southwark libraries don't lend eBooks.

The librarian I just spoke to at Dulwich Library didn't know, and the person I spoke to in the libraries section at the council didn't even know what an eBook was!!!!

Other councils have an eBook lending scheme, both in London and elsewhere.

Thanks!

Thanks for that.

I used to belong to the Barbican library as I worked near there many moons ago, but I think I have binned my card.

I think at the time I did need proof that I worked in the area though - maybe things have changed!

Hi Sue,

The link ed_pete provided states clearly anyone can join. But most people wont bother using theier services unless they regulalrly visit the area so quite naturally limited offer. Also suspect aimed at the many employees who would find it tricky to prove their work address. They only ask for proof of home address.

eBooks. I've asked about this a number of times and each time been told Southwark are waiting to see how things progress for libraries. I've pinged the head of libaries another request to know the very latest stance.

Hi ed_pete,

Many thanks.

Hi fl0wer, Penguin68,ITMT,

I rasied a query on officers about Camberwell Cemetery tree works 30 May. They have a maximum of 10 working daysto respond. on the 13 June they stated they needed another 10 working days to respond. On the 18 June they stated:

"Southwark Council - Member enquiry

Our Reference: 299218

Subject: Felling trees at Camberwell Cemetery

Dear Councillor Barber

Thank you for your email of the 30th May regarding the removal of trees in the cemetery.

The tree section are in the process of surveying all of our parks and cemetery trees to asses their current condition and for these trees to then be included in our cyclical programme going forward. Due to the enormity of the task we have procured a consultant to assist in this process.

Two of the areas we identified for a survey were Camberwell New and Old cemeteries. The survey identified a large number of trees that needed removing due to the fact that they were decaying as a result of a fungus that alters the strength of the wood. Parks tree officer worked closely with the consultant to review his work and recommendations made.

Unfortunately the risk presented by these trees requires that they are removed to protect the public. In some cases the work to the dangerous trees means that other trees in a reasonable condition are subjected to the effects of wind for which their root systems and stems have not been exposed to before. This can cause further failures of trees and a risk to the public.

We have consulted with some of the friends of Honor Oak Park and I have been in contact with interested residents about the work. We have also put up enhanced felling notices for information.

There are a number of works still continuing with further felling of trees. However I can advise that all of the work is being done to address health and safety issues.

Following the felling we will be identifying areas for re planting which will be undertaken in the next planting season Winter of 13/14.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further information.

Yours sincerely,

Gary Meadowcroft

Tree Services Manager

"

Thanks James.

For eBooks you don't need to regularly visit the area, as you borrow them online!

I've (re) joined the City of London libraries online now, and am going up to the Barbican today to collect my card and pin number, so I don't actually need Dulwich to lend eBooks now :)

You can help by fixing and resurfacing Barry Road. Barry Road is a road with a high volume of traffic going through every day, including two bus routes and big trucks. I was appalled when Landcroft Road, for example, was completely resurfaced, when this is such a quite road with only a few residents? cars going through, when Barry Road just gets patched up every few years. The state of the road is dreadful and its condition is affecting the residential buildings by making them shake every time a heavy vehicle goes past.