The swine is back...

Otto

Hi -

Our house was hit by swine flu this week, and, we have all had a different experience with it. There was also a note from my son's school on friday as several boys have come down with it. (and there is norovirus at son number 2's school just to add a bit more to back-to-school-fun).

Son number one who is 5 had it first, in a terrible way. It came on quite suddenly. He spent 24hours coughing, wheezing laboured quick breathing, and puking (because he was coughing so hard), but, did not have a temperature. He then took a four hour nap (unheard of) and emerged a bit better -- we thought he ought to go to the hospital, but he had perked up and could breathe easier so we decided not to. We had dismissed that it was swine as he had no fever. He is still coughing a week later, but, in good form energy-wise. My never sick husband then had what seemed like a bad cold. He is also still coughing. Then...my turn with the works - and I had quite a fever. It was then we decided we had IT. The same day, the note from the school appeared. It was too late for tamiflu to do much good for the my 5 year old son, my husband was on the mend, but, being asthmatic and in the thick of it, I got some from the NHS. I think it has already helped a bit with the wheeze, but, I am still bed-ridden. My oldest son has not had any symptoms yet. I think I will not order his dosage unless he catches it, and, needs it...

So - just to say we've all had different experiences with it, but, if you are wondering all autumn whether you have it, the thing that was similar for all of us was it was a sudden severe thing rather than something that progresses and comes on slower as a cold/flu does. And, as bad as it is (and I can say it is wretched), it is nothing to fear. I'm terribly asthmatic, and, still here!!!

Hope you are all feeling better soon.

My daughter came home with a note second week of school saying someone came down with swine flu so we're all bracing ourselves for it. Both my kids have been sick last week (just sniffles, congestion and coughing), but nothing severe so I'm certain it's not the swine, although who knows.

Thanks for posting and take care.