nurseries

viking

My baby is 4 months and Im just about facing up to the fact that I will have to return to work later this year (Im thinking sometime between may and sept). Can anyone recommend a good nursery in the denmark hill/ east dulwich area?

Also, has anyone got any advice or experience with the waiting list system? For the couple I called, they said waiting times were a year or more - can that really be true? Perhaps in reality, people find alternatives in the meantime and drop off - or is this wishful thinking?

Thanks!

Hello,

My son is at Mothergoose nursery on Greendale (in the Denmark Hill/ East Dulwich area) and we have been happy with it. He started when he was about 9 months old.

When I was looking I got a list from the Southwark childcare information service of nurseries in my area and then went to visit some. I did find that some places were telling me that they had huge waiting lists. I put my son down on 4 waiting lists and was offered a place at one.

Good luck!

Our youngest is 3 weeks and her big sister is at Greendale Mother Goose at Denmark Hill too. We're hoping to enrol #2 there at 6 months (Julyish) so if you get in there we could have babes in the same room. Our eldest (2.5 years) has been there only a few months (she was in a Waterloo nursery before) and seems to have settled in there fine. They have an activity every day (cooking, music, painting etc) and spend plenty of time outside (they have guinea pigs and rabbits too). They also had a lovely carol concert and Father Christmas arrival last month - so seem to do lots of interactive things with the kids. It's not the biggest place in the world - could look a bit cluttered to some. But is definitely 'well loved' and with staff who care about the kids and look after them well.

My 16 month son is also at Mother Goose Nursery at Greendale and he absolutely loves it. The staff are great and really take an interest in the kids. Today when I collected him I was early so stood watching him play through the window, he was running around, playing with the other kids and screaming with laughter (the kiddies were crawling through a big pop-up tube).

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this nursery.

Yes waiting lists can be long- we made it to the top of one when my eldest son was 4- he'd been on it since 3 months old! They charge as well which is a bit annoying- ranges from ?25 to about ?75. Both my sons went to Mother Goose Greendale aged 1- my youngest is still there and loves it. Great staff & happy children. I agree the space looks "well-loved" but the children get to spend alot of time outside & do trips to the park, library, go shopping etc.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...