Supermarket deliveries - Covid query

Sue

I just had a Tesco delivery.

I had four or five crates full of stuff which came without bags, so that I had to put it all into my own bags at the door. The crates were too heavy to carry into the house and unpack them there.

The delivery person just stood there, next to the crates, practically breathing into my face, without a mask, whilst I did this.

Except he didn't do that for very long, because I had to ask him to stand further away once it became clear that he wasn't going to do that of his own accord. I've never had to do that before, and it was a bit embarrassing.

Surely Tesco must have rules, and surely they must train their staff?

I haven't had the same issue with Sainsbury's - they have stood at the gate and only come closer to take the empty crates away.

Has anybody else had this, or was I just unlucky?

muffins78 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just unlucky! My Tesco delivery message still

> reads the same about vulnerable group - so the

> driver always stands back. I?m sure some of them

> wear masks. My shopping still is bagged but I

> just put it in my own bags at the door - like

> yourself I can?t carry it inside!!

I'm also in a vulnerable group, but they should be treating everybody the same, regardless, given the seriousness of the present situation, surely?

I reluctantly decided to make a complaint, because I think this is quite a serious issue, if Tesco are not training their staff during a pandemic which is getting worse.

seenbeen Wrote:

> I had a visit from someone sent by Southwark

> Council- a contractor who needed to come into my

> house- I had to actually ask the person to put on

> a mask...

It's appalling, isn't it. And that contractor is presumably going from house to house (as was the Tesco delivery person).

What's wrong with these people? And surely Southwark Council must have some rules which its contractors should be adhering to?

No wonder the virus is getting out of hand.

seenbeen Wrote:

> I had a visit from someone sent by Southwark

> Council- a contractor who needed to come into my

> house- I had to actually ask the person to put on

> a mask...

Same here when our upstairs needed scaffolding from southwark council last month and workmen had to come through our flat. I checked on the phone in advance if they would be wearing masks and assured they would. Turned up and didn?t have them. first thing he said was can I use your loo... had to hand masks to them at the door.

Sue Wrote:

> I just had a Tesco delivery.

>

> I had four or five crates full of stuff which came

> without bags, so that I had to put it all into my

> own bags at the door. The crates were too heavy to

> carry into the house and unpack them there.

>

> The delivery person just stood there, next to the

> crates, practically breathing into my face,

> without a mask, whilst I did this.

>

> Except he didn't do that for very long, because I

> had to ask him to stand further away once it

> became clear that he wasn't going to do that of

> his own accord. I've never had to do that before,

> and it was a bit embarrassing.

>

> Surely Tesco must have rules, and surely they must

> train their staff?

>

> I haven't had the same issue with Sainsbury's -

> they have stood at the gate and only come closer

> to take the empty crates away.

>

> Has anybody else had this, or was I just unlucky?

You must have been unlucky Sue, especially if you've had five crates full of shopping delivered from Tesco and then more delivered from Sainsburys!

I use both Sainsbury's and Tesco depending on what I need and who has what on offer, plus sometimes Iceland.So what?

I now get a lot at once, rather than shopping weekly, because Tesco's delivery charges have rocketed. Not of perishable things obviously.

Luckily I have space to store it.

I just got an email from Tesco CEO Jason Tarry

"Over the coming weeks, you will also start to see a simple ?traffic light? system at the entrances of some of our larger stores, to help us manage the flow in and out."

Maybe we should also make a traffic light system at front doors for delivery :) Mine have all stood back so far - luckily I can pick up the crates which makes it so much easier, otherwise I'd be tempted to have some boxes ready (I have some from beer deliveries)

Sue,

I can commiserate as recenly two deliveries from Asda that I had were exactly the same, unbagged, despite the fact they still ask if you want and still allow choice of using bags for delivery. They charge for the bags but goods do not arrive in them. I had to pick up, bend, replace each item of a 5 crate order into my own bags whilst watched by the delivery guy, who suggested complaining about the manager of the local store from which goods were supplied as "Other stores probably still bagged goods". Seriously, I hate too much plastic but in these current times and with an often complaining back, I choose bagged for convenience, like, I am sure, many many others do, for their own reasons. If bagged is not going to happen, remove the option from checkout please!

Not used Tesco for orders these past few months because of their exhorbitant delivery costs for non pass holders and constant past shoddy service when I was a delivery pass holder.

I have had an odd issue here and there with different companies, and differing problems but accepted most, however, now, I am choosing to vote with my feet as some are getting very lax and I will not accept crap service at all anymore. I do appreciate all the hard work of employees of supermarkets etc. especially as my son is one of these key workers, but I am getting increasingly peed off with the "organisation" and running of many of these companies who have made a killing throughout the past few months, compared to others who have suffered bigtime.

There is absolutely no excuse for delivery drivers to not be wearing masks and gloves when they take crates or bags of food from their van to your door. Just as you do not have to let anyone into your home if you deem it not to be safe to do so, including council contractors who claim they need access. I think if enough people complain when this happens, then the council and retailers will soon get the message. It is clear that a lot of people have become weary about washing hands, wearing masks and social distancing, so reminders are needed.

I received the following email from Tesco yesterday (though I've only just picked it up).

It doesn't address the issue of training, but at least they are following it up:

Hi there Sue,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I am really sorry to hear about what happened during the delivery of your last order. I would also feel really uncomfortable if someone stood so unnecessarily close to me while delivering the shopping. He should have never been putting you in that position.

Moving forward I have now gone ahead and fed this back to the Store Management Team to make sure this addressed with the colleague in question, and all the other delivery drivers in the team. This will make sure this doesn't happen again.

I hope this helps to allay your concerns for future deliveries.

Please have a lovely weekend.

Kind regards

Alisdair Paton

Grocery Customer Service

Tesco Customer Engagement Centre

Checking systems are there and implemented and training provided not the sack. If someone doesn't follow the rules after that you have to ask why at that point.

Watch Air Crash Investigation for an idea how these things work

Sue Wrote:

> I specifically said in my email that I did not

> want to get anybody into trouble, and that I was

> concerned that there was a training issue.

>

> Clutterqueen just provokes to get a reaction.

Not at all Sue, I do not post to get a reaction. Just obvious facts and obviously we did not see your email to the said companies.

Sue is quite right to complain. Complacency and hoping things will all work out is not the way to go. It seems the result Sue was seeking is better training of delivery staff by Tesco. At no point does she ask for the guy to get sacked. The notion that we should not complain if we witness irresponsible and potentially risky behaviour is wrongheaded.

Clutterqueen's posts (just on this thread):

"You must have been unlucky Sue, especially if you've had five crates full of shopping delivered from Tesco and then more delivered from Sainsburys!"

and

"So the poor bloke that was trying and helping to deliver your shopping has just got the sack!"

and then

"Not at all Sue, I do not post to get a reaction. Just obvious facts"

Nowhere in my posts or anywhere else on here are these "obvious facts" in bold above stated. So I would say, yes, you are posting to provoke, as you do elsewhere on the forum.

It's annoying and rather childish, especially on a thread about a serious issue.