Should it mandatory?

Andrew Lloyd Webber has said that vaccine refusenicks are "selfish" and likened them to drink drivers who put other road users lives at risk. He stopped short of suggesting vaccination should be compulsory however compulsory jabs were introduced in the UK with the Vaccination Act 1853 to combat smallpox. Other countriesfollowed later and smallpox was eventuallyeradicated.

The death rate with smallpox was about the same as Covid (but it did cause serious disfigurement) so it begs the question: Why not make vaccination compulsory now?

I still have my vaccination booklet from when I traveled extensively and it was essential to have up to date stamps for Yellow Fever a bunch of other diseases. Some countries still insist on proof of such vaccination.

Polio has been virtually eradicated (and is only endemic in parts of Pakistan and Afghanistan) as a result of determined vaccination programmes led by the WHO.

It begs the question: Do we have an moral obligation to get vaccinated?

The question is very childish in my opinion.

Everybody should be vaccinated unless they have grounded reasons for not doing so or not doing so at the moment and the right to live in peace and not to be stalked with such moral questions.

I feel I have a moral obligation to stay healthy and keep on saving the NHS hundreds of pounds per year for treatments I can avoid or prevent managing my condition as I do. And since there is no cure for my condition, what I do is not just really very important to me, it is something that should be appreciated by others and not ignored or vituperated in this way.

I am in touch with my GP on a monthly when not weekly basis. So that my choices are very well documented.

If I say that it is not time for me to get vaccinated against Covid, exposing my already compromised immune system to risks of further misbehaving I am not prepared to handle at this time, and the risk I pose to others and to myself in doing so is really minimal or non existent, well... I do not want to be bothered and stressed with questions like these.

I am not anti-vax.

Next year, when possibly I will have sorted out other issues and I will be in a more stable condition with work, housing and mysterious symptoms I have now under investigation with blood tests and self-care experiments, when I will have resumed treatment from other minor issues left behind because Covid policies do not allow me to have it with NHS, when I will have completed another private health therapy I am paying myself, when I will be able to see friends and relatives again because the overall policies and risks will be lower for everybody and I will be able to travel again, then I will be in a situation of dealing with the covid risk for myself and with the risk I pose to others with and / or without vaccination in a completely different and in my view safer set of circumstances.

In the meantime I will continue to practice social distancing and be quite isolated so... in conclusion, I am getting quite sick and tired of people wanting to give me lectures about morality of vaccines.

Of course you have the freedom to express your opinion but please consider you are not entitled to lecture others about healthy choices.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• They have. They asked in the original consultation. I’ve talked about it above. Around 3000 people (57% of a self selecting sample), were against the scheme. But the point you seem to be struggling with is that it wasn’t a referendum. We don't routinely have referenda on matters public policy in the UK (Brexit aside). We elect people to make decisions and then we judge the quality of those decisions in the round, and either re-elect them, or kick them out. That’s representative democracy. It’s not a good idea imo, but happy to listen if you do want to make the case for the routine use of referenda in matters of public policy. Not so much if you just want to use it selectively for a single issue you feel strongly about. Still ducking the question I’ve posed to you more than once now on claim of inadequate signage and intimidation of emergency services I note. I actually think the majority quietly support the local LTN. Certainly polling across London shows most Londoners support them generally. The local elections also suggest that most people either support it, or don’t feel strongly enough either way for it to stop them re-electing those who oversaw the implementation. I don’t believe in routinely holding referenda on matters of public policy. There are many reasons for this but  I don’t want to steer the thread off topic. Hopefully any sensible person reflecting on it for a second will understand the reasons why it wouldn’t be desirable. Still waiting for someone to defend One Dulwich’s claims as laid out above.
    • Sounds like you are running scared of the idea Earl, come now with so much debate over what is a consultation /referendum surly it's a simplel way of settling the argument 🤔 
    • Pot holes feel like they’re becoming more of an issue (based purely on my perception, don’t know what data there is). Even worse outside London imo. I suspect as Mal says, heavier vehicles are part of the problem (both SUVs, but also EVs which are generally heavier than ‘conventional’ cars), but regardless the council need to be more on it.  You can use the fixmystreet app to report them (and other street maintenance issues). 
    • Prior to the LTNs do you have many examples where the results of consultations were not acted upon? Seems to me the council is picking and choosing when they action the feedback from their constituents.......   Have you looked at the results from that, if not, tale some time to have a look, its quite enlightening..it seems the majority do not think the changes will have the desired effect....but you know it's not a refendum so the council has chosen to ignore the feedback of constituents. They must be assuming full responsibility for ignoring residents feedback- clearly they think they know what's best for us. If it all goes wrong let's see if they take responsibility!   Earl, here's a question for you (and i know you wont answer it but lets see)...why do you think the council has never asked a yes/no question to local residents about anything to do with the LTNs - wether they exist or whether we think the changes they have suggested (using our money) are needed/worthwhile? Or a consultation with a yes/no answer but we all know why. I still laugh that the council had to re-run the CPZ consultation with a yes/no answer and finally had to listen to their constituents...they took a hell of a spanking! They have been cheating the system for years and getting away with it. So does that not apply during consultations then? (P.S before you answer take a look at the definition of a consultation as provided by the Local Government Association).
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In