Amtico vs Karndean flooring

number 2

We are about to have a conservatory built to get some more space. We've also forked out for underfloor heating and it came as a bit of a shock to find that we couldn't have the solid wood flooring we wanted because of said heating ststem. So, I'm thinking of Amtico or Karndean vinyl flooring. I know Amtico in particular is very expensive. Does anyone have either and can tell me how they've found it and, just as importantly, how much it cost. I was a bit taken aback by lordship lane carpets who reckoned it would cost almost as much to fit as the actual flooring. Any recommendations of suppliers would be fab too.

Thank you!

We have just contracted with Westminter Carpets for fitting of Amtico.

I think there are cheaper Karndean options, but Amtico is two price brackets either 42 or 70! per square meter roughly.

The higher end Karndean we were considering (as against the lower end Amtico) was ?10 per square meter cheaper for the tiles but as the fixed costs for screeding and fitting are the same for both, the overall differential in price was not significant, so we went for the Amtico.

They did say there is little difference in quality - we just preferred one of the Amtico choices which was in the ?42 range.

Westminster Carpets are on Lordship Lane at the junction with the South Circular and next to Bathstore and Topps Tiles.

John there is very good and should beat Lordship Lane Carpets on price, or so he told us anyway! But certainly you get attentive service. Not had them installed yet though.

Yes does both K and Amtico.

This probably isn't an issue for you in a conservatory, but I was considering Karndean or similar as an alternative to a white painted wooden floor in my kitchen, as the floorboards would have to be laid over concrete, so I got samples.

I found that my red hair dye permanently stains them (I colour my hair in the kitchen to avoid staining the bath!). And probably other things would as well. If I drop dye on white paint I can paint over it.

As I say, probably not an issue for you but maybe worth bearing in mind.