RSPCA dog vaccination

ydrmdy

A dog does not need vaccinating every year. Nor does a cat. Vets now agree that three years gap is ok, and for them to admit that is quite something as it means they are losing money by not having you pay them each year for the boosters. You can get your dog titered to make sure they have the correct antibodies without having to plunge poison into their body.

Look at Jean Dodds website for more info. She is an American veterinarian.

Thats news to me. I vaccinate my animals every year. Two of my vets don't think a three year gap is fine, they send reminders warning of the perils of missed vaccinations, and having to start again with the 1st Jab and the 2nd a month later etc. Due to family ill health a cat missed its jabs by a month and ended up with cat-flu, so after it suffered intensive care, force feeding it etc, I wouldn't risk missing their jabs again. Thanks.

A cat isn't guaranteed not to get cat flu because of being vaccinated. You were unlucky, and it was a coincidence that it happened one month later.

If a vet can get money from you every year for booster shots, then they will. The animals are yours, it's up to you to decide what to do. Educate yourself. I know someone whose cat died within a week of their annual booster, the cat suffered fits and went blind, apparently that is not uncommon, and it was caused by the vaccine the vet said. I stopped vaccinating my last cat after hearing that and he lived to the age of 19, and wasn't vaccinated after the age of 8.

The type and duration of immunity depends not only on the formulation, but also on your pet's individual response. Three weeks late is probably fine, but don't take my word for it. Best to book an appointment and speak to the vet about your options. If you want to take an alternative imms schedule for your pet, ask the vet to advise on pros/cons. xx

Huggers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you use boarding kennels you have to be up to

> date.

Boarding kennels also say that dogs need a kennel cough vaccination. Those vaccinations do not cover all the strains of kennel cough.

I haven't used boarding kennels for my animals.

Saffron Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes let's base ALL our medical decisions on some

> secondhand, anecdotal shite we read online because

> that's SURE to be 100% correct and true.

What does this mean?