Question about appealing a parking ticket

Phlox

I received a ticket from Lewisham for parking on double yellow lines, not blocking a corner, but using a blue badge and clock. Was taking the person's very unwell dog to the vet. Had parked similarly, i.e. On double yellows, also displaying th badge and clock in ED, when couldn't find a space, but didn't receive a ticket from Southwark.

I appealed the ticket, in the time stipulated and didn't hear back from them until Christmas Eve, letter dated the 23Rd December. The appeal was rejected.

Couple of questions, are rules different in Southwark and Lewisham? Had a friend park on double yellows with her blue badge, in Lambeth, but she didn't display the clock so her appeal was rejected. I can understand that.

Do councils have to respond to an appeal in a more timely manner? It took them more than 7 weeks. They then said I had to pay by cheque! Wasn't expecting that. So I ordered a cheque book, and it hasn't arrived yet, due to Christmas dates etc.

Any help gratefully received.

Thank you.

No judgement implied, as you were obviously doing the blue badge holder a favour and thought you were within the rules, but were they with you? The badge goes with the person, not the vehicle, so if they weren't with you then the badge is invalid - if you said in your appeal that it was just you and not the holder, that'll be the reason it was declined, even though obviously you were using it in good faith to help out the badge holder.

ETA if you've decided to pay without further appeal, you should be able to pay online if you have the ticket number and car registration: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/parking/ways-to-pay-a-parking-ticket

Hi

Yes, they were with me.

It's Lewisham, not Southwark.

-------------------------------------------------------

> No judgement implied, as you were obviously doing

> the blue badge holder a favour and thought you

> were within the rules, but were they with you?

> The badge goes with the person, not the vehicle,

> so if they weren't with you then the badge is

> invalid - if you said in your appeal that it was

> just you and not the holder, that'll be the reason

> it was declined, even though obviously you were

> using it in good faith to help out the badge

> holder.

>

> ETA if you've decided to pay without further

> appeal, you should be able to pay online if you

> have the ticket number and car registration:

> http://www.southwark.gov.uk/parking/ways-to-pay-a-

> parking-ticket

Phlox Wrote:

> Thanks, that is very useful. Still not sure why

> the ticket was issued.

Looking it up - and I didn't know this and will now know to be careful when taking my blue badge holding sister anywhere - apparently the blue badge holder can be ticketed if they park without intending to leave the car, e.g as in your case another person nips into the shop/vet etc on their behalf. Which seems utterly absurd but there you are.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/parking-driving-transport/parking-driving-transport/help-for-disabled-travellers/using-your-blue-badge/

ETA sorry, Lewisham - should still be able to pay online or over the phone: https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/parking/parking-enforcement/Pages/Paying-penalty-charge-notices.aspx

Seabag Wrote:

> Were there double yellows and the two yellow short

> bands on the pavement running vertical down the

> kerb possibly?m

>

> Did you take a photograph?

Pic attached, taken from their pic.

The letter they sent me quoted double yellow bands, here's a picture. They don't appear to be entire bands, they are broken and almost rubbed out. This seems to be their reason for refusing my appeal. Must say I hadn't even noticed them...

There lies the rub, as there are various rules on double yellow/ double yellow with double kerb bands

Basically the rule of thumb is you can (generally) unload on a double yellow for 15-20 mins BUT not park an unbadged vehicle.

You can't do ANY of the above on double yellow line with the added kerb bands. Usually it's to keep a clear and safe view for crossings, drop kerbs, corners. And badge or no badge, faded or not, it applies across the board I believe.

You're probably in breach here, on this occasion.