Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• Whilst I am finding this thread amusing as it is parodying the who are one dulwich discussion, at the end of the day both the pro LTN and Anti LTN groups are using social media to portray their points and arguments and it doesn't alter who is behind them as they both use simular tactics. 
    • PM has reduced from road traffic primarily due to effective emission standards, started off following the bad Los Angeles smogs of the 60s and 70s that led to petrol vehicles moving from carburetors to fuel injection, and the three way catalyst. As diesel cars became more popular, leading to more soot, as well as that already emitted from heavy vehicles new vehicle emission standards effectively brought down particulate emissions.  You always have to look at street level emissions rather than total emissions, as these have the greatest impact on human health. Car exhausts are closer to people's lungs than industrial stacks.  London all but met legal standards by the tens and Johnson, funded by DfT had a push to meet these on all roads.  Whether legal limits could be tighter is a question, as there is no such thing as a safe level.   Renewal of bus fleets and retrofitting older vehicles was important.  London as far as I am aware has the most modern/cleanest of all in the country, Livingstone wrongly supported the bendy bus, not a bad vehicle but made for wide straight boulevards.  Johnson and the new routemaster was just stupid, it vibrates, rarely running in electric mode, wasted space with the extra door and stairs, and I've seen some spewing out soot, so obviously the filter has failed.  There was a loophole that encouraged some drivers to get rid of their diesel filters after they became blocked rather than cleaning them out, but the MOT was toughened.   You still see the odd vehicle spewing out smoke, police do have powers to stop and get the owner to test, but this is not a priority.  There is a smoky vehicle government hotline but not sure if this is effective.  https://www.gov.uk/report-smoky-vehicle I've worked in and around this area for years so have some broad knowledge. I'm more active in promoting active travel nowadays.  I'd push government on driving standards which should be a quick win on safety, carbon, air quality and congestion but they are not bothered as this would mean accepting that most of us are not good drivers (subjective term but if you had a random driving retest programme most would fail). I think too much is made of ClearAirDulwich, I doubt whether they are a major lobby group but provide some good stories for people like me.  I've called Alleynes a couple of times and got them to instruct drivers to turn their engines off, it's pretty good in recent months.  There is a downside to every intervention (well apart from flouride in water but that is another story). We moved to unleaded, and some were disadvantaged, even though there were phenomenal public health benefits.  E10, reducing carbon emissions but a small number of older cars have problems.  Close a road, make it one way or introduce parking fees, as we have done for decades across London, will always upset some people. Paris in desperation during 40 degree summer temperatures with no wind introduced alternate days for vehicle access, odd and even number plates.  When this was done in Lagos the wealthy owners simply had two vehicles one with odd, one with even.  So whatever you do this will in all likelihood have a lower impact on the rich.
    • Good article! But, to say that those changes to the app mentioned in the article, have already seem to have been made on the app as I had to sort out an appointment for my husband with Parkinsons last week and, to my surprise, it's been changed so you can tick to request an appointment in advance ... 3 - 5 days and the app is actually open throughout the day for this!  OR you can request an urgent appointment for that day. I spoke to the receptionist who let me know that you can now use the app for an advance appointment and it stays open throughout the day.  Anyway, I used it successfully last Friday  at about 11:30am and got an appointment with the lovely doctor who knows my husbands case... the only thing I would say is that you should put that in the notes if you would like a specific doctor as it doesn't give you an option otherwise.  I don't think those changes would have been made to the appointment system without the outcry of everyone here so people power works! 
    • I've lost a set of keys 7th May between 11:30am and 12:30pm somewhere on NX Road or Lordship Lane between the Post Office and the barbers opposite Shawbury Road.  They look like the picture, but with only 3 keys. Please contact me if you handed them in somewhere or picked them up.
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In