I'm in a rock n' roll band!

Keef

Did anyone watch this series on BBC2?

It was made up of shows about best band, singer, guitarist, drummer, and "other one", which included bass, keys, and bez-like dancer.

The series finished with a live show, hosted by Jonathan Ross, where they had a short list in each category, and there was a phone vote for the winners.

Results were...

Band - Led Zep beat The Beatles, and Queen. Led Zep were well before my time, and whilst I like some of the classics, I can't say as I've ever really been in to them.

Guitarist - Jimi Hendrix beat Slash, and Jimmy Paige (of course, I'd have voted Slash, even though I know he's not actually the best ever. Would have been nice to have seen Jeff Beck in there, but it was all too predictable. I know Jimi was great and totally original, but I've just never really gotten in to his stuff in a big way.

Singer - Freddie Mercury beat Robert Plant and Kurt Cobain. If this is based just on vocal talent, I'd have to agree with that. There was a strong case for Cobain, but I'm glad he never won, as I think he was a (well over rated) tw@t if I'm honest.

Drummer - John Bonham beat Keith Moon, and Dave Grohl. I would have gone with Dave Grohl, just because I think he's a bloody great musician, as well as a fecking mean drummer!

Bass - Flea won a phone vote, there was no short list as with the others, which I think is a bit of a dis to bass players!!!

So, who'd be in your dream line up? I'll think on mine and do it later. Think it's quite likely we'll see Slash on lead guitar.

Feel free to add rhythm guitar / keys / whatever else you want. Could even be a "best song writer" category.

Sorry if this has been done before, I can't remember, and I can't be arsed searching.

Series website here.

Great series.. didn't catch the last show yet, though it sounds less interesting than the rest of the show.

Flea on bass? Diggety-diggety-diggety-diggety... PUT A SOCK IN IT. Definitely a choice made by 'those of a certain age' who probably only know the name of one bass player.

Pink Floyd created the most interesting and original change in music by a country mile, sadly you had to go to one of their gigs for the full experience, as it was not just the sounds but also the sights they produced.

Led Zep never conquered the world like the Beatles did in their time.

John Bonham, Keith Moon, Dave Grohle, were never in the same league as Gene Krupa in my opinion.

I thought it was a good show and a bit of a laugh......but surely the Stones should have walked the band thing they sort of took invented the whole rock star thing IMO? Led Zep took it too the extreme down the heavy rock route but it was just a metalled version of the Stones with more lyrics from LOTR

bloody Flea... bloody Chilli Peppers... bunch of arse.

Dream lineup... Bob Mould on rhythm, Josh Caterer on lead (if he can put the bible away for a few minutes), the songs would practically write themselves. Josh Freese would be the obvious choice on drums.

Probably wouldn't sell as many tickets as the stones though.

How can they discount bass as incidental? If anything in rock ?n roll is incidental it?s lead guitar. It?s a nice to have not a need to have. Bass is a need to have.

Fucking load of arse balls cock.

And what about attitude and sense of humour? Two of the most essential elements of rock and/or roll.

Anyway I didn?t get to see this. We only seem to have 3 channels out here in the cuntryside and I think one of them is from 1956.

The Stones didn't get much of a mention, which I thought was weird. Keith Richards IS rock n' roll.

Jagger is a tw@t though, and the reason I have never been able to fully embrace the stones.

I think this show was reall about the heavier side of music though, the real guitar heo type stuff.

It's not very cool to say Phil Collins was a great drummer because Genesis were nice middle class boys unlike err the stones and err the who, but then he wasn't exactly rock'n'roll and he committed some of the greatest crimes against humanity in his solo career.

I'd have gone Led Zep, Frank Zappa, Phil Collins and John Entwistle, though as Bob pointed out they added to the sum of parts (possibly minus Zappa), hence why Led Zep has to be the best band as each component is a strong contender for best of...and together they have some truly great moments (last couple of albums though...meh).

Oops, forgot vocals. Mr Plant is just too OTT, I read an interview recently where he said he listened to their old stuff and winced at his, what he termed, vocal masturbation. On his recent (rather wonderful) collaboration with Alison Kraus he more suggests his voice than actually sings, so he's obviously trying to redress a balance there.

His followers may have embraced WRAWK, I'm thinking Tyler, Rose et al, but it was all a bit naff wasn't it.

Brian Wilson might be the most influential in our day, but I can never quite work out whether the whole falsetto harmonies thing is genius or dodgy affectation, though the Beegees, come on, they were cool.

I may have to go with Daltrey as it goes, great voice that always fit the music just so right.

Just have to speak up for Flea. He wouldn't be my number 1, but come on, he's an awesome player, with a unique style.

My band's* bassist is absolutely bloody awesome (we were well lucky to find him), has been playing for years and years, and he rates Flea very highly. Not fair to say he just plays stupid slap bass.

*I hate saying "my band", but it's easier than "the bass player in the band I play in".

My band...

Lead Guitar short list - Slash (GNR / Velvet Revolver), Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath), Jeff Beck

Winner - Slash (surprise).

There are plenty of amazing guitarists out there, and it's impossible to say who is "best". Tony Iommi is a riff machine, Jeff Beck is technically amazing, but for me, Slash is just the one I like to listen to. I never liked Guns N' Roses because of Axl Rose's screechy voice, I liked them because of the sound of Slash's guitar.

Drums short list - Lars Ulrich (Metallica), Steven Adler (early GNR), Roger Taylor (Queen)

Winner - Lars Ulrich.

Steve Adler was not a great drummer, but his style added to what made early GNR so good. After they got rid of him, it all became a bit too tight and pretty, and lost the roughness that made Appetite for Destruction such a great album. I'm not a huge Queen fan, but they were all bloody good players, and I think Roger Taylor is a great drummer. I know not everyone likes heavy music. I never liked the really heavy stuff, but Lars Ulrich is just the best rock drummer out there, he hits them hard, and fast, and for me, he's the bollocks!

Bass short list - Duff (GNR), Tal Wilkenfeld (was with jeff beck's band), Dan Roberts (Crash Test Dummies)

Winner - Dan Roberts

Duff was my hero when I was a bass playing teen. Tal Wilkenfeld is absolutely bloody amazing, but she is a bit jazz, so has to go. Dan Roberts is a great player with a great style. Shame Crash Test Dummies are only really remembered for Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm, as they were better than that.

Vocals short list - Skin (Skunk Anansie), Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters), Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath days)

Winner - Dave Grohl

The young Ozzy in Sabbath was a wild man on stage. Obviously he's not on my list for vocal talent, although he can hold a tune. I just love his energy on stage. Skin's voice is bloody awesome, and I almost picked her. But, Dave Grohl is my winner. I'm not even a bit Foo Fighters fan, but I really like his voice, and more than that, he just goes for it with so much passion!

This video is a good example

Others in the band

Keith Richards (Rolling Stones) - Rhythm Guitar

Ellen Reid (Crash Test Dummies) - Keys & Backing Vocals (has a lovely voice and sings some really nice harmonies)