Chelsea Pensioners

computedshorty

Now is the time that the Chelsea Pensioners become more in the eye of the public.

Does the general public know what they are or what they do now?

You will see them at the Cenotaph, and Marching down the stairs of the Royal Albert Hall.

The scarlet Uniform is only worn on Parades whilst within the Hospital or outside the Hospital.

Their normal dress is more informal Blue with cap inside the boundaries of the Hospital.

I have over the years become familiar with many of the Pensioners, I have also through attending so many parades been offered to attend many more, so many that I cant go to them all.

There are frequent invitations to take part in Parades with the Royal Family present, and be seated on a close table at the Luncheon.

I had thought that as I was there, I would when I got home write a short report of the proceedings and send to those that could not be there I have done this and sent them to old comrades of my own Regiment, these seem to be well received, but now those men have nearly all passed to the Green fields so I do not do it now.

These might be of interest to members.

This is one of my reports;

Chelsea Founders Day 7th June 2002

The only official Parade of the In-Pensioners of The Royal Hospital Chelsea, is to commemorate the founding of the Royal Hospital, by King Charles 11. This year the salute was taken by His Royal Highness Prince Michael.

It had been raining , as we took our seats in the raised stands the seat had an inch of rainwater in the cupped seat, as it was fixed down the water had to be removed by hand, the rain stopped for the ceremony, the Trumpeters came out onto the balcony, six each side, one later collapsed and was taken away, the Band played the Pensioners came on Parade waiting for the Royal Party, unfortunately one of these also became unwell and was wheeled off in a wheelchair.

Prince Michael arrived onto the Parade Ground, having called into the Infirmary to see the less able Pensioners, The Fanfare by the Trumpeters, and the inspection of the Pensioners formed up in four Companies in the Figure Court, pausing to speak to those sitting behind who were unable to stand for the Parade, I was particularly pleased that he spent some time talking to my Ex Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant Major, Tom Parnell, who we had come to see.

I think that the most moving part of the Parade is the very slow March to the tune of "The Old Brigade" this brings a standing ovation from the assembly, it never ceases to bring a lump to my throat, it is now that an unusual salute is given by the left hand as they counter march past the saluting base, as they pass you can see the Golden band on the pocket flap of their scarlet coat denoting that this person holds a post of responsibility within the Hospital.

Prince Michael, gave a well received speech, then unveiled the Statue of Charles the 11, that had been renovated and painted a brilliant gold, by the sculptor Andy Mitchell. Prince Michael left the Parade. The Pensioners were dismissed.

Now the time to meet your pensioner, and of course all those you have got to know while attending other Parades, get your Packed Lunch , Hot Dog , or Hamburger, now the beer tent, find enough seats in one of the Marquee's and settle to catch up on all that has passed since you last met, the band plays all the favourite Military Music.

My own observations are toward two men in Blazers who I must say were wearing the biggest display of Medals I have ever seen, on both sides, not just Medals but Badges of anything they had ever belonged to, some I suspect might bare a simulararity to the yearly clasp from Butlins from 1950 to 1972, I doubt that should they have been able to obtain a replica of Kenny Everett's four foot wide jacket there would have been room to put on the Golly Badge, these exhibitionists being only visitors did not , I am glad to say get any attention from the ex servicemen there, as they retreated to a empty table and remained alone, looking at a very very old Pensioner standing in the heavy rain, who it turned out had come from the infirmary wearing his pyjama trousers six inches short , in his scarlet coat and Blue Cap, he was waiting for his visitors (Who would never come) as he had probably outlived them, constantly smiled as he got soaked, he gave a glance in my direction the non seeing glance I had seen by my own brother with Dementia, this man is more important to me than a hundred exhibitionists!

The man was taken into the Marquee by some of the ladies on an other table and made a welcome to him and posed with him for a photo, I think it made his day.

The rain fell heavy keeping the visitors inside, now with a disco to replace the band, a visit to the Museum is a must, funny how many men bought the red apron with the Pensioners on it, I suspect they will be wearing it themselves, lots of good souvenirs, and books, and see a grand model of the Royal Hospital, when it was built in 1692.

The Chapel is also an interesting building, and the Dining Hall, and the Pensioners rooms these are called Berths, and what is The Chelsea Chest ? This is their stomach best when filled!

Reluctantly we had to leave, just then someone with a portable radio shouted " We have won " this was the Football Match against Argentina, perhaps I might be exaggerating when I say men jumped to their feet who had not stood for years and cheered, well it seemed to me anyway, what a high note to leave our friends, "See you next year" God Willing. I do hope our visit has given some pleasure to Our Old Comrades, I am looking forward to next year already.

"Smiler" aka ?Computedshorty?

Another roport.

10th Royal Hussars. ( Prince of Wales Own )( Nicknamed the Shiners )

Southern Shiners mid-day meet at Headcorn Kent.

Thursday 20th June 2002

Our yearly lunch at The Weald of Kent Golf Club, we are not members, George Walker arranged the venue as he used to live in the area in his childhood, and returns frequently to this most picturesque setting on the slopes of the hills leading up to Sutton Vallance. We have the use of the Lounge Bar, and tables in Restaurant are laid ready for our meal, we order what we wish, Duck was popular, but a glance outside at the usually well stocked lake of wild fowl, seemed unusually empty of any bird, I had Scampi, I now wonder if they were Home Grown? It is always such an enormous meal, that we wonder how they can provide it at the cost, George ordered wine from the local Vineyard.

Early in the day Derek Ivings, drove from Hayes to Chelsea Hospital to collect ex SQMS. Tom Parnell, George Walker & Sylvia got there early from Bromley to ensure that all was ready, Norman Long & Rene came from Sheppey, Don Kane & Pat, from Lancing called to collect Bill Hazelgrove & Margaret from Brighton, Rene' Regendanz came up from Rye, he's had a new hip joint fitted, so that drive must have been painful, Eric Farris & Dorothy drove up from Biddenden, good to see Eric so mobile after his major surgery .

Tom had plenty to find out from Rene' as they last met at the Amalgamation in 1969, Rene' had brought his Photo Album, he has a large collection of Iserlohn, I must see if I can borrow some of them for the Shiners Website. Don said his neighbour captured the Barracks in the war, there was a block opposite "A" Squadron that got destroyed and there were a lot of German casualties in it, somebody recalled the Smoker at Christmas 1950 when Tom concocted a Special Brew, got a Conjuror, and a live Female Dancer, strange that we were all in "A" squadron together.

Irene Shorty's wife surprised Tom with an iced 84th Birthday Cake with a little Chelsea Pensioner on top, no candles, (it might have been a fire hazard) just " 62 years a Shiner " , Tom put it back in its box, and said I'm taking that back to show my mates at Chelsea, and my son who I'm going to stay with tomorrow in Whitchurch.

We retired to the outside and spent an other hour or so, sitting in the glorious sun on the patio, it had been an other day to remember, it is a shame that our old mates Dougie Bowles, Eric ( Topper) Brown, Alan Boyce, Brian Glancy Hockley now moved to Cornwall, John Gateson, Don Flower, Roger Beech, John Carter could not get there, I do my utmost to persuade them to come, but the location is not suitable to every body, we have chosen a central point that is alright for most, I am thinking of buying a ex NAFFI Mobile Canteen and calling on each of them, and having a " stay at home lunch", perhaps I might be able to purchase a few of those famous NAFFI Rock Cakes, to go with the 1 jam & 1 cheese sandwiches, and mug of tea that I will offer them, it will be worth it just to hear if they still know those swearwords, I am told Troopers use.

Reluctantly we have to leave, some of us have already booked our accommodation for Tidworth, the Association Weekend in August, most of us will go, if not see you at Stockport!

"Smiler" aka " Computedshorty "