Does anyone ever cook these days.

DulwichFox

Looking through the pages of this forum it is filled with recommendations

for the multitude of Restaurants, Cafes, Pubs.

30 ish food outlets on Lordship Lane mostly full on many nights and weekends.

Indian, Chinese, Turkish, Mexican, Pizza, Roasts on Sunday to name just a few.

Cake shops, Tea/Coffee Shops, Take aways Chicken, Kebab, Chinese, Pizza, Ribs.

Does anyone ever cook these days. ???

Well there's this thread and this one that demonstrate an interest in food - and I'm pretty sure there are a lot more as well. Just found this one too.

The Marmora household cooks - my turn tonight so tonight's meal was quick and simple - home made leek & potato soup, 5 seed bread (deli) and some left over, upmarket, home made rice pud - made with added vanilla seeds, almonds and whipped cream - served cold with a warm home made cranberry sauce. Coffee & whisky will follow later as we watch the 10.00pm news. Not too balanced an evening meal but good on a cold day.

Yeah I cook. Love it.

Mainly Indian and Thai.

Probably not perfect but very satisfying and one of those things you know you'll do for years (and hopefully improve !!). Anyone coming for dinner normally doesn't complain if it's 'one of his curries', so something to try and maintain.

Yup... but there are a lot of people living round here and perhaps they don't all cook every night. There are probably enough households to fill the LL eateries even if each one only ate out once a month... just so long as we didn't pick the same month.

Tonight's warming meal was home-made chicken broth with bits of chicken in it, a poached egg and some parmesan. And I'm about to go off for some homemade gingerbread loaf with a nice cup of tea.

Hmm, 30-odd restaurants with 30-odd covers each, say 800 in total.

5,000 ED residents, say 3,000 of those 18-54 (kids are seldom taken out in the evening I guess).

Even allowing for blow-ins, it would suggest that a quarter to a third of ED adults are either eating our or ordering in every night. What recession eh?

a lot of poeple see east dulwich as a "destination" to eat out,feel sorry for those of us that live the other side of dulwich- where our choices are: indigo, cafe rouge,porcini or the rosendale pub. herne hill has about 4 places to eat out, dulwich village 3. So the actual number of residents that form the demand is substantially more than 5,000. I expect it is the same for those east of east dulwich too.

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hmm, 30-odd restaurants with 30-odd covers each,

> say 800 in total.

>

> 5,000 ED residents, say 3,000 of those 18-54 (kids

> are seldom taken out in the evening I guess).

>

> Even allowing for blow-ins, it would suggest that

> a quarter to a third of ED adults are either

> eating our or ordering in every night. What

> recession eh?

You are forgetting take outs , deliveries .

Kebab and Wine certainly do more than 30 covers per day.

Well over 100

I was told by managment that the Actress did 200 Pizzas on one day.

I have a sit down myself (Indian) Tuesday. Not the busiest evening.

In just the hour I am there, constant Deliveries,

The Bishop certainly does more than 30 covers Sunday lunch time.

People regularly eat in the evenings.

Last Thursday I could not get into Dulwich Tandoori at 10.00

It was full as were all the other Indian Restaurants.

Apart from the 30 outlets in Lordship Lane.

There are many other take aways in the area.

Barry rd. Upper end of LS Lane. area around ED Station. East Dul Rd. E.d. Grove.

Upland rd. North cross rd. Forest hill rd.

I also get leaflets for delivery from Brockley, Gypsy Hill, Camberwell, Nunhead, Hearn Hill

All these buisineses are surviving.

800 covers. ??? don't think so.

People eat out and get takeaways a lot more than they used to. I do myself, though I cook as well (badly).

It's a general pattern, not just related to ED.

Eating out or getting a takeaway used to be more of a special occasion, now it often isn't.

we alternate, and have a take away one night a month and eat out one night the next. This is a treat for me not to have to cook.

We also eat out at friends / restaurants for birthdays and other celebrations- but that is probably no more than 5-8 times a year-is that about average for a family with teenagers?

Sometimes cooking can be a chore - and little love involved-especially when it is wolfed down in 5 mins. The joy of eating out is they have to sit down and talk to you!

There are more than 5,000 people in the area (4.5k or so in ED ward, but then the same again in College ward etc. etc.) so the ratios above don't really stack up.

On the other hand, some of us also eat out outside the area, while others come into the area to eat out...

I cook every day, but I make extra for the fridge and freezer, and probably only eat out once a fortnight or at most once a week, usually as part of a social get-together. I also eat at the homes of friends, and they at mine, so sometimes the home cooking is of industrial proportions.

My favourite recipe for this time of year is Nigel Slater's fish pie (smoked haddock, mussels, white wine, mash etc.), but it takes two hours to prepare...

Over the last few years I've switched from eating out and takeaways to cooking at home almost every night. Cooking has become an enjoyable and satisfying hobby.

Tonight I made a hot and spicy Anglo-Indian-style lamb, spinach and coconut curry with turmeric rice - it took about 45 minutes, although I had already prepared the base curry sauce in bulk a few days ago otherwise it would have taken much longer.