Careers counselling

RosieH

Has anyone ever had experience of careers counselling?

I find myself at something of a crossroads, and I'm absolutely fecked if I know what I should be doing next. I thought it might be useful, but the people I've spoken to who've had fairly basic counselling (provided say, when being made redundant) have found it absolute pish.

And on the other hand, a great company I know actually charges about a grand for it, and I don't know if it's worth stumping up for.

Would be great if anyone who's had any experience could share.

Thanks womanofdulwich - it's less about training. It's that I find myself in the (very fortunate) position of needing to choose one of three potential paths for my career - each has its own merits, and I'm struggling to decide which is the best choice for me.

In order to remain professional, I'm going to need to commit, probably in a couple of weeks' time. I know that it's unlikely that careers counselling would give me an immediate answer, but might help me think about the question more constructively.

That's very sweet HAL - wasn't on my list, but it might be now.

And PGC, yes, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of - those high falluting life coach cum careers counsellors who charge a fortune for mentoring you through the process. But I don't know if it's just emperor's new clothes.

I suppose it boils down to what each has to offer you.

For instance - I have been with my employer for almost 16 years - it is within 3 miles of my home, I work flexi hours, good holidays, great colleagues. Building could be a bit more comfortable, free parking permit, good salary although I could earn upto another ?3k elsewhere. Good training opportunities (generally but current cutbacks in training budget)

I have never worked from 9 - 5 as have been a carer to various family members over the past 35 years - flexability in starting and finishing times is worth more to me than salary, and also working on own initiative. Have days when I can travel anywhere in London or elsewhere as part of the job.

My worse nightmare of a job would be a boring office, working in some financial institution, doing the same things each day, being supervised the whole time, everyone competing for promotion or recognition, meeting the same people every day.

A friend was once headhunted by a very large corporation, she had to pass 3 lots of interviews and was offered the position as a regional manager at a salary in excess of ?10k more than she was earning plus a company car. An opportunity to develope new ideas, and shape new policy. After much soul searching, she turned the job down as she realised that when office based, the journey to work would take a minimum of 90 mins each way by car. Three days a week she would be visiting other premises as far as Wiltshire, Hertfordshire, Kent, Surrey and Sussex and not getting home until late evening. Her children were all teenagers. Company increased their salary offer by another couple of thousands and were very surprised when she turned them down. She realised that she would have a better quality of life by sticking to her current employer.

RosieH - someone I used to rate used to say - when faced with a decision, don't agonise over it, just go with the Biggest Yes.

Of your three possible courses, which is shouting loudest to you? Or, which one "feels" most right?

If that really doesn't resonate, then (and I'm sure you've tried this) how about writing down the pros/cons of each and seeing how they pan out?

But I recommend retirement :))

:)-D

What were you best at in school?

What did you do better than your classmates?

Perhaps if you decide to challenge yourself with a mammoth task like run a marathon, you may find your answer on the journey.

Incidentally if someone gave you a million pounds the answer is "count it"

not 'nothing'.

Now get up off your lazy talented arse and get to it, or you'll get the back o'my hand!

Wow DICKENSMAN, you're a bit bossy. I like it.

But I'm not doing nothing, just trying to work out which of three opportunities is my particular golden ticket. Gut reaction hasn't kicked in, so I thought I'd try to be a grown-up about it.