Advice needed - scope of refurbishment

trizza

Hi I am hoping someone knowledgeable in the ways of property can help.

We have bought a 3 bed terrace. Originally there was a small bathroom in the middle house (about 2m x 2m) and a single third bedroom at the back of the house - about 3m x 1.7m or so. A previous owner has moved the wall between the rooms and swapped their use over, so there is now a large bathroom with freestanding bath, seperate shower where the third bedroom was and a small box room in the middle of the house that is currently used as a large cupboard...

We want to make sure we have a useable third bedroom (even if it is small) so have two choices:

1) Keep bathroom at back of house but make it smaller (and lose seperate shower) - thereby increasing size of box room back to original size - 2m x 2m, which could be used as an additional single bedroom (for small people). This would leave us with a bigger bathroom but smaller third bedroom.

2) Move bathroom back to where it was in middle of the house. This would leave us with a small bathroom, but bigger single third bedroom (about 3m x 1,7m).

Would be grateful for thoughts on which of the two options above is likely to make house more saleable as we would be happy enough with either of them.

Thanks!

Do you need the bigger room for use right away? You talk about resale but have only just moved in! If it is spare capacity for the moment then why not enjoy the decadence of a larger bathroom for a bit. In due course you can switch the 2 rooms back to the conventional layout whether because you need a bigger bedroom or because you are trying to maximise your sale price. Of course if the bathroom is a bit naff and you are getting it redone then you will want to get it right first time...

Do you mean 1.7m by the way? Doesn't sound right unless the the back of your house isn't square.

Thanks for all the advice. I think that having a larger bedroom is probably the right call.

Yss, the third bedroom at the back would be would be about 1.7m deep (maybe a bit more) and 3m wide. Fine as a kids single bedroom I guess.

We thought it would be nice to get all the work done sooner rather than later but the more I think about it, it may be a better idea getting the whole lot down before we sell when we are ready to leave.

Cheers

trizza Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> done sooner rather than later but the more I think

> about it, it may be a better idea getting the

> whole lot done before we sell when we are ready to

> leave.

>

xxxxxx

Just a thought - someone might prefer to buy the house as it is and get the work done to their own taste, so unless you'd actually make money on making the changes yourself, or unless an estate agent recommends otherwise, why bother having all that upheaval?