How would my neighbours having a kitchen extension into their side return affect me/my house?

Dorothy

I am having an extension done soonish so I should be telling you not to worry about it( just in case you happen to be a neighbour).

Several thingsto consider:

Have they applied for planning permission?

Has it been approved?

Do they have a decent architect who knows his stuff and who should do some kind of impact study?

How deep are the foundations being dug? Subsidence risk etc..

Actually, I recommend you go chat to your neighbour and look at the plans together..

You do not necessarily need planning permission for a side return extension (can be done under permitted development providing certain conditions met), but if your neighbours are building up to the boundary between your properties they do need to serve you with a notice under the Party Wall Act.

I tried to be a really good neighbour when we did the same thing, and I was very lucky to have a kind and considerate neighbour in return.

Dependent upon the terms of the extension for your own concerns, but mine didn't have any real long term impact.

However, the nurks battering down walls in my own terrace broke the glass in the shower next door, and they started bunging crap out of the windows into the skip which made everyone's car filthy and pissed everyone off.

Because I'm an evil bastard, I made the builders wash every neighbour's car once a week until the job was finished, and of course made good all the damage and offered everything I could in recompense for the discomfort.

The lesson? Do everything you can to share and resolve mutual problems.