Totally boring question about loft extensions (sorry)

KattyKit

I found it a ball ache and in retrospect I wish I'd knocked through and extended my basement first.

Think about what you need; it's fairly pointless doing a loft conversion if you dont need another bed/bathroom and you lose a hell of a lot of storage space.

With the potential for unseen costs and things to go wrong is it worth doing a loft just to "add value" ?

Our loft conversion gave us a fourth bedroom and extra bathroom- with bath! It is a proper square shaped room with the eaves being used for cupboards and generous bathrooom. we also have undereaves storage and storage under the new staircase. I really wanted a proper integrated bedroom that looked like it had always been there rather than a tacked on extra bedroom so we lost a little bit of our front bedroom so that the stairs could do a proper sweep without being too steep. It's the nicest room in the house, with balcony type doors and railing and is our bedroom full of light.

We lived in our house for ten years before doing it. It has changed our living space dramatically and we now have loads more room.

The only drawback is it makes the rest of our house look shabby.