Cleaning a sheepskin

The Minkey

Hi the Minkey - I haven't a clue but I spotted some sage advice on cleaning sheepskin from Ms Annette Curtain on the thread about cleaning leather.

Can't seem to add a link to it but its bobbing around in the front page of the Lounge at the moment.

Ms Curtain seems to have lots of top tips on such matters so hope she spots this and is able to help.

Minkey, you could try using those eco-friendly washing balls on a cold water rinse/wash?

I use them now for all my washing, and if something comes out still grubby I only then wash it with soap.

I must be saving a fortune not using hot water (well that's my theory!)

You need to use something that will retain the oil in the wool, don't you? Otherwise it will go all horrid. I think :))

ETA: If you don't have any, let me know if you want to borrow mine.

The Minkey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Um no - I don't think shampoo and washing machines

> make good partners. Off to have a google.

I use shampoo --just a little-- in my washing machine with my sheepskin, and it's fine. xx

Haha, I can see it now... suds creaping out across the floor and under the dining room door just as the mother-in-law sits down to Sunday dinner!

I've washed our large, long-haired style sheepskin several times. I've used about 2-3 tablespoons full of gentle shampoo, and then about 1/4 to 1/3 the amount of fabric conditioner I would for a regular wash. Then I dry it on a large radiator, or hang outside if sunny. The only problem is that the hair comes out curly when you wash it! When it's dry, a fine tooth combing restores the straight "plush" look to the hair. Alternatively, I guess you could brush and blowdry it when it's wet?!

I've also washed leather riding boots, suede climbing shoes, and Ugg-style sheepy boots in the washing maching using this method (minus the blowdry, of course!)

Re saddle soap on general use leather... is it not recommended b/c traditional saddle soaps are actually alkaline-based leather conditioners, rather than leather cleaners? I think modern saddle soaps are neutral glycerin-based cleaers and conditioners in one. I guess my point is that not all saddle soaps are the same thing, so best to read the label. Trying to remember what we cleaned saddles with when I was a trail leader many years ago. I seem to recall we had a special sort of rubbery sponge that you used dry on the leather to remove dirt from the surface and for general cleaning. Then a conditioner what applied separately. It was a spray, so not your traditional saddle soap then either. Hmm.