Goosegreen nursery

Saila

Hello

We want to send our son to GG nursery from September next year. He will be turning 4yrs old that term.

However, we only recently put our applcation in for a place....

How does GG nursery work in terms of application criteria/cost i.e. how much do they charge?

I assume we get the usual 5 half days thing, but if I wanted him in fulltime, what's the extra cost?

Also, do they prioritise places on distance or time of application?

Finally, do they calculate distance from the Tintagel crescent entrance or the middle of the school grounds?

Thanks

As I understand it, there's no option to put him in full time, it's either 5 mornings mon - fri or 5 afternoons mon-fri. Whether you get mornings or afternoons will depend what has been allocated by the time they get to you on the list, mornings will be more popular. They have 30 places in the nursery for morning sessions and 30 places for the afternoon so the total number of children in GG nursery is 60, though one half will never meet the other half if that makes sense.

It is obviously term time only.

Putting in an application (or more accurately, putting your child down on the waiting list) is free, you just have to fill in the form with a couple of forms of ID and a photocopy of your son's birth certificate and give it in at reception.

It is done by waiting list, first come first served, unlike applications for the primary school which are done by SEN, distance, siblings etc.

Having a place at the nursery has no bearing on getting a place at the primary as the criteria are different, distance etc.

Not sure where they calculate distance from, but this will only be relevant when it comes to primary, not nursery.

I would think you have as good a chance as anyone but it will be part time. Also remember you can apply to as many state school nurseries as you want, as you apply direct to them. Costs nothing and one of them should come up trumps.

I have a child in the school already and will be applying for a nursery place in September 2013 for a sibling who is 3 in the August before the term starts. I didn't think that when they turn 4 has any bearing on when they get a place, just that they are 3 at the start of the Sept term.

My understanding of the process is that applications are not yet open ( this is going by what the school annual calendar says) and they open in Jan 2013 after reception places close. To apply you get forms from the school reception and return to the school by end of Spring term (March)and are told whether or not you have a place by the Summer half term (end of May). It will only be part time places either am or pm and there are no current plans to offer any full time places and which place you get goes on a first come first served basis of preference when the allocation is made.

I was also of the understanding that it is based on distance rather than when you put the application in and that siblings take priority as with the reception places and that this was the case for all school nursery places. I have no idea where they calculate distance from but presumed it was the school gates in Tintagel.

There is no cost for the nursery as it is the Government funded 15 hours a week.

Maybe I have completely misunderstood the process but if you want further clarification you could always email the Office as they deal with the applications.

Thanks craigy - really helpful

What you say makes sense to me as when I applied they asked for proof of address. So I did wonder if distance was taken into consideration. We are spitting distance (250m away from tintagel) and I hoped that this may override any 'late' application.

I don't know why I said 'term that he turns 4'. He will be 3 then yes. I think I'm confusing primary in that instance.

• 2 months later...

Hi Craigy,

sorry if I ask but I am very new to all af this...so the Goose Green nursery has a government-funded 15-hour-programme which does not cost the parents anything? Does this mean 3 hours a day for 5 days or is it split differently? Also, if you want to have more than 15 hours (paying of course) is it possible and if so how much does it cost? Again, sorry but I can't find any info on their website..

Thanks in advance

I don't think there is any flexibility at the primary school nurseries, you get free either 5 morning sessions or 5 afternoon sessions Mon to Fri during school term time only. Note they are closed in school holidays.

They are state run and not private, which is where you can buy more flexibility.

Think of it as like being at school for half a day i.e. fixed hours.