the people on the bus go "shhh, shhh, shhh"

bawdy-nan

wish they had. Much as I like to see schools on public transport Goose Green's adult led, mass sing off on the top deck of the 176 was more than I could bear. I'm sure the intention was good but they seemed just fine -chatting, looking out of the window - excellent behaviour in fact.

They were singing something about a spider and then the wheels on the bus led by an adult - all 30 of them. The thing is - I do think its great that schools use public transport and I like sharing my journey to work with a school trip and this group were very well behaved - it was just very annoying (an a terrible example pf how one behaves on a bus!).

oh dear, my son was one of the 30! The other half of reception is going tomorrow, I was going to offer to go with them as it's my day off but was told in no uncertain terms by my son not to come.. I can mention to the teachers if you like in the morning.

Cheerful teachers leading a group of 5 year olds in a bout of impromptu singing on a bus? tsk, tsk, tsk - what is the world coming to?? Surely children need to be educated in the correct bus etiquette in London i.e. no smiling at strangers and instead, maintain a distainful and aloof expression on one's face at all times. This isn't one of those kind, cheerful friendly places to live after all - we're not Canadians for goodness sakes!

As I said - I've no objection to a mass invasion of a bus by children - on the contrary - I relish it! I like the chat and hubbub and the disruption of the normal atmosphere. Seemed rather like an inhibition of normal chatty social behaviour (the adult making the children sing) actually and, no, I don't think it's a good idea to pretend a bus is a school - especially when the children's instinct was to behave like they should on a bus.

It was just after 9.

Correct bus ettiquette is surely consideration of your fellow travellers? The children did this naturally, didn't seem restless or bored by the journey - as I said, their behaviour was exemplary and any parents / school should be proud of them - they were lovely. I'm guessing that the adult (I've no idea if it was a teacher or not) was nervous about the children starting to get bored etc and wanted to offset any restlessness - we could have a whole other conversation about that - but I couldn't see that at all (and, boy, do I know the signs).

Great to hear such positive comments about the kids behaviour! Good behaviour is a core value at the school. The teachers are committed & enthusiastic & music is used through the school (I.e whole school singing once a week) & class teaching (in addition to weekly music classes, instrumental tuition & afterschool choir/brass band etc)- I really love that enthusiasm but I can see your perspective! Will pass on this discussion to relevant people.

Ha, ha, exactly.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You don't want to teach kids to be friendly and

> chatty on the bus in the morning. It will lead to

> them being hated in adult life.

>

> I hate bumping in to people in the morning.

Interesting question raised here.

Having considered it carefully, I am entirely in favour of schoolkids singing on the bus, unless it is one of those days when I am on the bus, in which case I recommend silent and respectful thought as more appropriate.