RE: Tutor for Early Years Foundation Stage

snsn

from my own experience of my daughter going to reception, she was given all the support she needed within the school itself. I am not sure if you would like extra support for your child for specific reasons (i.e. help with a disability or condition). I would imagine, that unless needed, your child would learn with their peers at school.

My daughter did not do much writing at 4, but you could get your daughter used to holding pens through drawing, cutting etc.

You can play games with counting yourself the same with letters

My daughter does not have any disability even though she has speech and language delay (I think it is due to dual language as our main language is not English). However, I want to give extra support for reading, writing and numeracy because when I tried to read a book with her, she listened only one or two pages and she was not interested even though I have tried different books. If I tried to help her in writing, she was only interested in first five minutes and get bored and played herself. I am not sure whether my technique is not right.

Any further suggestion much appreciated.

I would agree that private tuition for a 4 year old is really young except in special circumstances. My 3.5 son is much the same as your daughter (and also bilingual) and some of his peers are seemingly more advanced than him but I am definitely not worrying about it. For reading, why don't you take her to the library/bookshop and let her choose a book? She may be more willing to let her read it to you then. Also, choose short books as once or twice I have chosen (or let him choose) books beyond his age and he loses interest quickly then.

When she finally gets going with the reading and writing she will be able to do it in two languages, which will be a wonderful thing.

If you are really worried though why not ask the health visitor?

I think what you describe is true of most children (altho mine have always loved being read to). If I try to teach them writing, reading, maths, they are bored and we seem to get nowhere. I tried with my eldest, we both got frustrated and I was worried. But he went off to Reception class and was reading by Christmas. They are teachers, they are trained to do this and children react much better to someone other than their own parent doing these things with them. My children's school holds curriculm evenings for Reception children where they show you what they are doing in school and how they are taught, so you can follow up and reinforce at home.

Lots of children in Reception will not be reading and writing, so don't worry about that or be taken in by the number of genius 4 year olds there allegedly are. Let the teachers teach them, and if there is no progress (unlikely) then reconsider tutoring.

NB, hats off to home educators, maybe they have special powers, but my children are motivated and learn from the teachers far more than from me. And thank you also to the primary school teachers, doubt they read the EDF as most do not live locally, but their skill and patience is much appreciated.

I think there is increasing pressure for children [and the parents] to read and write much younger. I am going to get pelted for this, but I find that ED and surroundings take the pre-school reading and writing skills of the youngsters far too seriously (not had children in any other London boroughs so can't compare), and I do wonder what the burnout rate in the longterm will be and if this obsession is going to bite us in the bum further down the line. After some play dates I have come away feeling totally negligent as a parent because my son can't write the first letter of his name compared to his friends who can write out their whole name, and then I remind myself that he is just barely out of nappies! I wince when I hear a parent refer to their children's ability to count to 10 good 'numeracy skills'.

"However, I want to give extra support for reading, writing and numeracy because when I tried to read a book with her, she listened only one or two pages and she was not interested even though I have tried different books. If I tried to help her in writing, she was only interested in first five minutes and get bored and played herself. I am not sure whether my technique is not right."

I think it's important to distinguish the different skills and mental processes that sit behind reading and writing. Kids will understand stories and language long before they understand the mechanics of reading, and will often reject your efforts to engage them with the written words if it gets in the way of listening to the story. It may be more productive to separate out reading stories from learning basic sounds and words ("A is for apple" etc.)

Similarly, writing involves physical/motor skills and cognitive elements; the motor skillscan be developed in lots of ways, most of them more interesting than writing words that they don't understand.

My experience is that reading and writing are like walking and riding a bike - provided they are given the opportunity and encouraged, kids will pick them up very quickly once they are ready, but before that point it will be a real struggle. when your daughter starts reception there wil be lots of kids who will not be reading or writing at all and the school will be prepared for that and teach accordingly.

If your child has not yet started reception, please don't worry. Concentrate on letting your daughter have fun, there's many years of education ahead and at such a young age she shouldn't be feeling like she has to do structured learning!

i also have bilingual kids and number 1 was slow with speech and language. i think you have to be really careful not to unwittingly make child feel bad or stupid, or obligated to learn . learning at this age (and all ages) should be fun and without pressure. your child has many years of school and it is important s/he enjoys them. remember they are learning all the time anyway....songs, music, painting, nature etc. please don't worry.

My children are much older, however, I remember well my my failed attempts to get anything vaguely educational past my daughter!! We ended up sticking to lots of play, paint, creative stuff etc. We always had stories at bedtime, discussing the pictures and so on. Also she was very slow to start to read - she did not get going until year 2. However, she then raced ahead, and was known at school as the girl who was always reading. Her writing skills equally flourished. as DaveR says, they will get it when they are ready, and then they will take off. It is really hard when other children seem to be grasping stuff that yours isn;t, but stick with it and let them do it in their own time (with lots of encouragement and opportunity_ It is very hard not to compare, and I feel there is too much pressure on little ones, however I can say that with the benefit of hindsight. I think Pebbles raised a good point about competitive parents comparing our children and the 'race' for them to achieve perceived milestones. Let them enjoy school - especially primary. I think all our primary schools are so good that they are able to step in if they feel that a child is not achieving as they should further up the school.

good luck

Hi snsn,

I have an Early Years Degree. It's natural that you want to help your child develop those valuable skills for school and life. What other posters have said is very true about letting children play and have fun and the Foundation Stage is designed to support children to learn literacy and numeracy through play. The skill is in knowing how to teach pitched at your child's interests and level of understanding and parents' do not always know how to do this.

I have pm'd you with my details about how you can get extra help for your child and some training for yourself at the same time.

If anyone else is interested they can pm me too.