Essaouira with kids...

pilsbury

We went when my children were a similar age and had a great time just hanging out on the beach and in the souks. I was worried about the famous wind but it was fine and the hawkers on the beach sell little cakes which was odd but cute. We went with fleewinter and stayed in the most beautiful riad. The children hated Marrakesh on the other hand, maybe too hectic for them

Err...those hawkers selling "cake" are often selling something more...medicinal. I wouldn't let your kids buy any! ;-)

Haven't been with kids but it's a fantastic place with huge expanses of beach for the kids to play on. I expect the fish market will be quite fun and there are some great ice cream shops nr the harbour.

Oh, and I hope you like stray cats. Like most of Morocco, there are thousands.

We had a lovely time with ours there - had a riad with family and someone came and cooked every evening. They also brought some of their Gnawa musician friends in for a little private concert which my girls adored. A trip to the local hammam was also very popular with my (then) three year old. They popped her into a bucket and scrubbed her - she's never been so quiet!

Beach was fab fun too, despite the wind, and the markets much less hassly for kids than Marrakech. Icecream place in the square was lovely!

Have fun

I may have many failings as a parent but seriously that hasn't included allowing them to take drugs - I'm sure there is a happening subversive culture in Essouraoria but we remained blissfully unaware.

Enjoy

Edited to add - except for medised which we were very fond of back in the day!