Lullabies for toddlers - advice pls

jennyh

Hello

My nearly 3 year old has listened to the same lullaby on her monitor since she was born, we turn it on remotely during the night and more often than not it helps settle her. It's definitely true to say we fell into a trap of relying on it to develop a bedtime routine etc and now she's quite fond! We are expecting a baby in a couple of weeks and so thought it wise to try an alternative and wean her off the monitor as we will need one for the new baby. I bought this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00020IPDW on the advice of a friend as it has worked brilliantly for her two and they use it to fall asleep to and turn it on themselves in the night etc. we tried it tonight and after a very excited introduction and playtime she was really keen, understood it was for big girls and that she could switch it on when she wanted to but that it wasn't a toy etc.

Well after the first round (10mins) I heard her bashing about and she came out of her room upset and saying she didnt want it and wanted her old ones. Being 38 weeks pregnant and knackered I just gave in, took them away and switched the other one back on! I would have persevered but she doesn't nap anymore and is exhausted so just wanted her tk go to sleep!

So...any advice??? I'm wondering if there is something with a soft glow that plays twinkle twinkle and that has a nice big button she can switch on. The light on the Tomy star is too bright I think and the light show wasn't that popular, think it freaked her out. Plus she is used to the Bt monitor version of twinkle star.

Open to suggestions if anyone has any. If we end up with two monitors I'm not sure whether they would interfere with each other...any experience?? Please help!

Thanks as always!

That's good to know pickle. I had visions of switching on the wrong ones and having constant interference or cracking or something and not knowing which it's coming from! I feel trapped by this part of the routine but then equally reluctant to rock the boat when it's been a rough road and I still tend to have to settle her myself a fair amount.

In the scheme of things, it's a nice little routine to be trapped in :)

With a new sibling about to arrive, I wouldn't change things, as the last thing you need is the stress of trying to settle her as well as a new baby. We found two monitors really useful through the years.

Good luck x

Yes, we had the 2 BT monitors too (now in same room so just the one) - I didn't want to but particularly in the house we were living in at the time my second was born, we really couldn't hear the oldest without the monitor. We had had the same thing - same lullaby even - with the oldest so a bonus was being able to just keep doing that with him, may seem like a little thing but at that point you do just want an easy life! Plus think it's nice to try to have some continuity for the older child. I did loathe the horrendous clashing lullabies but you can always mute them...

Pickle - we routinely do the remote lullaby thing! I think number 1 didn't used to be keen but n ow we even tell babysitters to do it to settle number 2 if need be.

Thanks everyone. And yes you are all quite right that its a small thing in the grand scheme, it was actually my husband who wanted to get rid of it whereas I'm not so fussed but thought I would show some proactive initiative! So when using two BT monitors were they the same ones? I had thought about getting the same old one second hand and introducing the same lullaby so that when they do share a room it works for them both...

the one we got for number 2 was a newer version. By the time we moved them in together #1 was less bothered (and I was less bothered about him being bothered, if you see what I mean - needs must!). as it happened he quite likes his little brother's lullaby of choice so it's never been an issue.

It's funny though - that particular version of the tune, plus a lullaby from a music box we used when changing number 1's nappy as a tiny baby, have the ability to transport me right back to those early days. Emotional!

We have two monitors but I went for same brand, different version - I think ours are BT100 and BT150 - my thinking was that the basic functionality would be familiar but they're different enough not to mix them up - one has a screen showing temp, the other doesn't.

No interference and they sit right next to each other in the kitchen, and I would second what others have said above - make it easy on yourself and your eldest by hanging onto as many familiar routines as you can ahead of a period of big change.

Thank you! It's really helpful. We've just moved house as well so she's had a lot of change, has a new bed etc as well so the more I hear your opinions the more I know you're all wise! I will be grateful for any support in settling her once the new baby comes screeching into this world!