School nursery and wrap around care

Susan

Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on how they managed work with childcare/school nursery hours.

We ideally would like our son to start at a school nursery in September but as you all know its term time only and then only for 2.5 hrs/day. I will probably be working 3 days per week.

What do people generally do? chilminder who drops off and picks-up and then does holiday time care? any other options that I havent thought about such as nurseries that would cover afternoons/holiday times?

Any advice appreciated

Susan

This was the reason we didn't put our daughter into school nursery. We probably would have gone for a childminder who drops off and picks up. Many charge for the full day though (understandably). Holiday care isn't an issue for us as I'm a teacher. In some ways it's a good idea to find a childminder for nursery and beyond since they still before and after school care in Reception...

I went back to work just after my older son started at school nursery. It worked for us as we already had a childminder in situ, and it coincided with her taking on my younger son for 2 full days, she knew the school etc and was in a position to be able to do the drop offs/pick ups on the days I worked, then fill in during school holidays. If you're not coming from that position, I agree it's quite tricky. There were quite a few working parents in my son's year, off the top of my head I think mainly using childminders/nannies though. You might be able to get a childminder who is happy to do it as a wrap around care thing, i.e. not be paid for the missing 3 hours - esp if she/he already has other charges - in the same way that many take on school runs.

I really rated the school nursery we sent my son to, and we were lucky enough to get a place at the adjoining school, although even if we hadn't I'd have said it was a good experience for him. Not even so much the getting ready for school, just the range of activities and friends he was exposed to - it was really good for him.

Thanks for this Belle - my gut is it would be good for him but its just making it work! He is currently in a nursery which he loves but that is more focused on kids up to 3 so he is out growing it. I am slightly worried that the school hours would be great for him but then he would be bored with a childminder...

This is really hard. We use a school nursery and I don't think there are many working parents using it apart from when it coincides with maternity leave for the next child, or where the family is already using a nanny (too expensive for most). Childminders are probably the best option, perhaps if you can do the drop off yourself and get a cm to pick up. But I found they would charge a full day rate of ?60 or so, which effectively means that the 15hours free is not benefitting you. On the other hand if you stay in nursery your fees will reduce to take account of the 15 hrs.

Dog Kennel Hill school nursery gives 2.5 full school days instead of 5 half days which might work better for some. Good luck finding something that works.

I wouldn't worry about him being bored in the afternoons - I think they need some chill out time after the excitement and structure of 'school'.

Lots of working parents use school nursery - but perhaps when the child is a sibling. we used private nursery for number 1, but with 2 children and now 3, nanny/au pair is our childcare choice and school nursery fits in well with that. If you use it you are just moving the choice of wrap around forward a year - you still need this sorted in a year's time so might as well do it now? Chilminder seems most popular option.

Thanks Hollybush - sadly our little nursery doesnt do the 15 free hrs (as its focused on up to 3 yr olds). Really feel the school experience would benefit him. Yes Katgod agree its just getting everything in place for once they start school. Maybe the perfect Nanny share will appear at the right time!?

Thanks for your thoughts

Susan, please don't worry that your son would be 'bored with a childminder'.

We are on a par with all nurseries in terms of what we offer.

Agree with Hollybush about the chill-out time after nursery/school. Children are still so young and all they want to do is play!

Yes, I'd agree with that - though I understand you'll be concerned because your son is at a nice nursery, and change is always a bit scary with kids. But my son was very happy with childminder (still is as she does post school care for him twice a week still and holidays) and she always does loads with him, his little brother and the other children she cares for. Plus, I like that she adjusts the care dependent on the kids' moods - very true that they can be quite tired from school nursery, nice if they have a bit of 'home from home' type time around that. My son went to the nursery in the afternoons and I would say we only did morning things once or twice a week (and that was just park trips /the odd playdate - nothing organised) - because anything more wd have been too much on top of a nursery session. Good luck with the decision making - it's tricky working it all out.

I've found school nursery hopeless with work. Not so much the session times, but the fact its closed for 13 weeks of the year! I've gone down the private nursery/au pair route, and prior to that had a childminder.

I don't think it matters re getting used to the school environment (our school doesn't have a nursery anyway, so nobody who starts there has been to one!) - reception year is really an extension of nursery anyway. I'd be more worried about chopping and changing, especially if its only for a year.

Good luck with getting it sorted - working and having children is a pain no matter which way you do it :)