First school holidays holiday....Help!

Maki

Hello!!

I'm currently spending all my spare time researching where we can go to this summer in August. Me, partner, 2 children 5 and 2 yrs old. We don't like resorts much, and we would like to stay somewhere that is walking distance to an interesting village/town and a beach/river, but also a pool. Our budget is tight, which is an issue!!

We found heaven in Cirali, Turkey but are priced out with the flights.

So.....we have found reasonable priced flights to Athens and Bologna.

Does anyone know of a nice guest house or b&b with a pool that would fit the bill within a drive or train ride from Athens or Bologna? And I know I'm asking for the world here but if it was somewhere that did evening meals (even if occasionally) that would be awesome! Our budget for the accommodation ?1200 for 10 days or 2wks....

You can take the ferry from Athens to islands really close by (less than an hour or two from Peireas). Spetses, Aigina, Hydra and Poros are a few of those islands. Alternatively Nayplio is a lovely town a couple of hours drive away from Athens in the peloponnese.

I was also going to recommend Nafplio, as it sounds like it ticks all your boxes - easy drive from Athens, picturesque town, interesting history in the area, plus gorgeous unspoilt coastline all around. Not sure if accom in your budget in Aug exists - maybe look at owners direct or air bnb?

I would lock in the flights to Athens personally - there are loads of options in the Peloponnese region, including those listed above or a short ferry ride away. We stayed here (http://www.prettygreekvillas.com/greekvillas-villa-Jacaranda.html) a couple of years ago for within that budget and it was amazing! But we went in June so they did us a deal for 10 days. Looks more pricey in August. But I'm sure through Owner's Direct you could find something.