Sibling catching chicken pox

The eldest had chicken pox recently, the first spots came up Thursday 22 may. So I'm guessing she had the virus since Tuesday 20th. If it's contagious for 21 days, does that mean that I can expect my son to catch it by Tuesday 10th? If he doesn't, does that mean he not getting it this time?

I know this sounds like a very pedantic question, but we're going abroad on the 17th June, and I don't want anything to jeopardise it! Will he be stopped travelling if he is covered in spots but out of the contagious period? Obviously I don't want to travel if he is unwell or if he is at risk of passing it on.

I think I'm the only parent in the world desperately looking for signs of a rash every time he wakes up!

We had this recently! My eldest caught chicken pox in February, we had a ski holiday booked in March which was 3 weeks later. Dr said we would be Ok and youngest would get it and be recovered by then if he was going to get it.

Needless to say, my youngest had spots appear on the day we arrived skiing! Was pretty much the 21st day of the incubation period! 'Fortunately' they didn't come out until later in the day after we had arrived at out chalet, but it did mean the organised childcare wasn't possible.

You are unable to fly if the child is contagious - ie has spots but they are not all crusted. My son would have been contagious when he flew but as he didn't have spots at that point we had no way of knowing.

A week later when we flew home his spots were all crusty and he was no

Longer contagious. The Dr offered go give us a

Letter confirming this but nobody challenged us at the airport / on the flight anyway.

I had called the insurance company prior to leaving and they did confirm we would be covered for any cancellation due to a child with chicken pox.

Good luck

unsure you've got your sums right, your daughter will have been contagious for 10 days before the spots came out (so 12th not 20th), and for a further 5 days following. So, you need to go from the 27th (being the last day contagious) for approx 10 days (which we're past).

Another thing to note, is that depending on your sons age and method of feeding, he may have some protection from you (via breast milk).

Fingers crossed you have a spot free few weeks! Me and my 2 siblings all had chickenpox completely independently of each other!

Buggie - weird I thought that CP is contagious 2 days before spots, and for 21 days in total. There you go - never trust the internet. Stopped BF last sept, so think that ship has well and truly sailed. He is having terrible nappies this week, and his sister also had frequent runny foul bowel movements (sorry sorry!) in the run up to her infection. So I THINK he is on the brink, I just didn't know if at some point I could move on from "expecting it any day now".

convex, I didn't think vaccination would work when he had been so closely exposed.

Fingers crossed for you Audrey - the runny nappies could be a red herring/teething or just too much

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chickenpox/Pages/Causes.aspx

Might not be hugely reassuring, but might explain why you had 2 days before in your head!

You'd probably be surprised if you were able to look back how little really close contact the kids have - especially if ones ill, they normally don't want to play with siblings... Stay positive 1 difficult I know with the uncertainty x