How to get a good cleaner or get the best out of a cleaner?

I am having trouble finding a cleaner that I am happy with and wondering if I have very high expectations. In the past 5 months I have gone through 6 cleaners. They just dont seem to be doing a good job. 2 were recommended by people I know but even they did not meet my expectations. My house is usuaally untidy as I have kids and work full time. I don't think my house is very big (3 bedrooms) and I think 3 hours is plenty of time for a cleaner to clean it well ( I have however always stated that I would pay for more hours I just want the house sorted). After cleaning the windows and floors always have streaks and floors sometimes smudges. The Piano is never dusted and neither is behind the telly all they seem to clean or dust is what one can see. The cushions are not turned and the chairs vacummed.

I am not sure if, I am, the problem. I am very busy and would expect them to do a proper job without me micro managing their work. Basically I don't want to tell someone exactly what to do as I believe good cleaning standards are universal.

I think you're right to have high expectations, and it is very difficult to find a good cleaner.

However, I think that for a cleaner to do a really good job in the time you specify, the house needs to be tidy, so they can get on with cleaning and not have to spend time moving things to be able to do their job. Alternatively, pay for more time so that they can do both.

My cleaner is excellent, she has very high standards. She does 3.5 hours in my 5 bedroom, 2 bathroom house which includes changing the bed linen in the master bedroom and ironing 5 shirts for my husband. Two of our bedrooms are in the loft, and not really used, so just get a quick dust and vacuum every week.

I keep the house very neat and tidy, and do bits and pieces of "maintenance" cleaning over the course of the week. The night before the cleaners come I have a de clutter - all unnecessary stuff on the kitchen work surfaces gets dealt with (a great way to stay on top of household admin), shoes/clothes/toys tidied away. I leave out the fresh bed linen and the shirts.

My theory is that I am capable of tidying, and I know that it's much easier to clean a tidy house.

If you would like to contact my cleaner, let me know, she mentioned to me on Wednesday that she has a limited amount of space every week. She works with another person, so they do the hours in half the time, which I find really useful.

I also think 3 hours for tidying up plus a thorough clean is not really enough. sometimes the tidying up takes the longest really. maybe you could pay extra for one spring clean now and get it all to a state where easier to maintain? and just add an hour a week?

Thanks for your comments. I did pay for a spring clean 3 weeks ago which took 3 hours (2 cleaners), not that I noted a huge difference after. And I have always made it clear that time is not an issue I would rather pay for 4 hours and get a clean house. And I only need the inside of the windows cleaned (or more accurately tiny fimgerprints wiped off) as I have a person who comes monthly to do the windows.

I guess, I have to accept that i might have to do quite a bit of tidying beforehand. I guess what infuriates me is simple things like behind the telly (telly area is probably the only place in my house without clutter) is soo dusty. And how do you clean toilets without wiping the toilet cover.

That's definitely not acceptable, they are basic things that should be done without having to be told.

I've sent you my cleaners number, along with everyone else who has messaged me. I will now wait until I speak to her next week to see whether she still has any more space before passing it on to anyone else.

• 1 month later...