Family holiday - Dordogne...?

If I were you I'd steer clear of the Dordogne bits that are very popular and aim for somewhere a bit quieter. We went the year before last as part of a french camping tour and, whilst in some respects lovely, it was ram-jam-packed with Brits on holiday. Our campsite (chosen from the Cool Camping book) was pretty and by the river and near two castles (so meant we didn't much have to venture out into the jammed roads and could walk and canoe) but it was a little bit what I remember costa del sol hols with the folks when I was a kid - leery, beery and fighty groups.

There are loads of lovely places in France - I'd recommend the Lot or the absolutely gorgeous island of Noirmoutier (further north than Ile de Re and bicycle and beach heaven)

Thanks everyone and thanks bawdy-nan, that is really interesting what you say. Growing up we went to France every summer (all over inc. Dordogne) and I remember how boring I found it as I rarely heard an English voice! It must have changed quite a bit. I'll look into Lot.

What we really want is a nice gite/villa/apartment with a pool. Anywhere in France with lovely scenery and food. So any recommendations would be appreciated. Doesn't need to be Dordogne (but fine if it is!)

It was Le Capyerou. It was a lovely campsite - and right on the river with a canoe place and a shady walk to a fabulous castle along the river (with great river swimming) and a nice shop in the village. We may have struck it very unlucky in the week we were there but it was unpleasantly awash with very beery, fighty types. They did indeed try to start a fight with an elderly gent / grandpa of some posher sorts who though that he ought to be able to drive his car through the section they'd barricaded off.

It was also just so much busier than anywhere else we'd been and the roads were jammed. But the places we'd been to before were places like the Lot and the Western Pyrenees where we'd been used to much quieter places and roads. I expect if you get it right (like Sanne Panne did) it can be lovely. I have a friend who stays with a friend further north and reports a quieter experience.

I don't think I;ll be going back though - more places to try!

If you're camping, Saint Avit Loisirs was lovely when we went in early September. And very quiet. But that was outside school holidays. In fact, it was a bit too quiet - the campsite was only about 20% full and the children (at the time, 3 1/2 and 2) would have preferred a few more activities/little friends to play with. But it's a lovely site in a very pretty area and I imagine it's not hectic, even in August.

We went camping at St Avit Loisirs last year in August. It was crazy busy (although we liked it - the kids loved the pools, kids clubs, disco etc).

As soon as the last weekend of August passed it completely emptied out (we stayed on for another week) and was really quiet with no clubs etc - quite a different place. The whole region was so much less busy then.

One thing: its a very long drive from the ferry with kids in tow (8 hours or so?). I wish I had flown with the children and let Mr Mellors bring the car down or hired one. I was very envious of the people popping off to the airport on the way home!

We went to the Dordogne last year and stayed here: http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/lanouaille/307486

The area was great in terms of being near to interesting things to see and do. We went with our 5 month old and the gite owners were very sweet and provided loads of age appropriate toys for him.

Its a small cottage and all on one level with open plan kitchen/dining room and a nice big garden. There's two bedrooms so would be big enough if your kids are ok sharing a room? Its really near Lac de Rouffiac which is a lake with a gorgeous sandy beach.

We got the ferry and drove but it is a loooooong old drive. We stopped in Arras on the way down and Chartres on the way home to break it up a bit, but we still ended up with about 5-6 hours driving in one day.