Superkids swimming lessons under threat

If you aren't aware of Superkids, they do brilliant swimming tuition at various pools in the area. For some reason, St Thomas the Apostle school on Hollydale Rd has decided they can no longer use the pool there. Why, I do not know, but I'm very upset about it. Superkids offer a brilliant service that is highly valued by local parents, but St Thomas the Apostle have called time. Anyone know why this might be?

I wonder if there might be a H&S type new rule. Superkids at Dulwich Prep has had all classes pushed back later into the evening, with no explanation really (the school's decision, not the club's). I am giving it til

Half term but fear the lesson times are now too late for my children. Could just be pure coincidence that 2 schools are restricting pool access though.

I've heard it's because St Thomas want to start their own swimming lessons for their boys & local schools after school. Also heard that they've already stopped one of the local schools having their lessons there on a Friday afternoon. My children are on the waitng list, everyone reccommends Superkids as they are so good so I don't want them to stop.

Hi all,

My daughter attends lessons at st Thomas also, please see emails between myself and a Mr TYnan from St Thomas

Good Afternoon Clare,

Thank you very much for your email below. We as a school are lucky enough to have this fantastic facility and as you can appreciate we want to get the best use out of it not only for our own students but also the kids in the community. As a result the school has decided to take on a full time swim coach who will run the pool. This is a massive commitment by the school and we want to make sure the pool is used to its full potential, but also trying to guarantee the safety of our own students and those from the public who use it. Please be assured that swimming lessons will be available to children in the local community as before but will be done so through our own professional swim coach.

Regards

Bernard Tynan

Sent: 15 September 2014 11:33

To: ENQUIRIES

Subject: Swimming Lessons at STAC - Superkids

Att: Eamon Connolly/ Serge Cefai

I was greatly saddened to hear that Superkids may no longer be able to run lessons after the October half term at St Thomas the Apostle.

My daughter had a extreme fear of water and down to the patience and expertise of the instructors at Superkids she has overcome this fear and is now a confident swimmer. There are over 100 children benefiting from having lessons at St Thomas the Apostle through Superkids and alot of these children are from the Local Community.

I urge you to strongly think about your decision or work out a way that lessons with Superkids are not affected. There will be alot of children that will be left with nowhere to go to continue with their lessons causing them to regress and all of their hard work and the instructors work wasted.

I look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Clare

(Concerned parent) Local Resident

Well done for writing Clare. I think I'll register my protest with them too. I also want to clarify whether they want to end all Superkids lessons there or whether Saturday mornings will continue.

What is he talking about when he says 'guaranteeing safety'?? Meaningless nonsense. Why would I want to use their 'professional swim coach' instead of the beautifully organised network of people who do such a good job at Superkids?

Great letter. Question is, why has the school reportedly had this asset for the last nine years and only now appointing a swimming coach while giving this fantastic team just a few weeks notice after the term is underway? It seems very unprofessional and harsh, letting down lots of local kids in the process.

I have been taking my eldest to Superkids for over a year. The lessons are by far the best swimming lessons we have ever taken him to. My daughter has just started and the small classes are perfect for her. The coaches are wonderful. It would be an absolute blow to have to revert to lessons where there are 12 in the class! Clare, I am going to follow your lead and write to the school.

My children love swimming with Superkids, we tried another swimming school & my daughter wouldn't even get in the pool, now she swims safely & confidently. It would be an absolute loss to the local community to evict Superkids.

If you would like to support Superkids staying at St Thomas' PLEASE follow the link & fill in a few answers.

https://superkids.typeform.com/to/TVCJ3l

Personally, I think it's a crazy idea to replace such a great team, with a proven track record with something untested, unless of course there is another agenda?