Cleaning company damaged my granite work tops with bleach-- can I take them to small claims court?

LondonMix

Really as simple as that! We left granite cleaner out for them. They brought in a new cleaner who used bleach (we could smell it). We immediately reported the damage (within 24 hours) and sent pictures. They won't let us speak to to cleaner and is claiming the firm doesn't have liability. I'm hoping we can talk the owner around but honestly, I'll probably have to take her to small claims court. I just was wondering if anyone has been in a similar position.

If your agreement is with the cleaning company rather than the individual cleaner, then they are liable in principle; if your agreement is with the individual cleaner they may still be liable, it's just a bit more complicated. Get a quote for repair/replacement or whatever is need to put it back into it's original condition, send a copy to the firm and ask them to pay/agree to pay within 7 days, or you'll make a claim. Making a claim is fairly straightforward - there's lots of guidance online and in my experience most court offices are pretty helpful.

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/ex302-eng.pdf

Thanks DaveR. Our contract is with the firm not the cleaner. We have received pms from lawyers and also spoke to the Advice Bureau. Its likely we'll have to take them to court but fortunately for us, we have email proof they initially were going to repair the worktop until they found out the cost. They tried to offer us half and then promptly quite and changed their story... Anyhow, its a matter of principal so small claims court it is.