Recommendation for tongue-tie consultant please

Congratulations on your new baby! If you can make it to one of the breastfeeding cafes (there are at least one a day), one of the lactation consultants can have a look and discuss the next step with you. They work closely with the tongue tie clinic at King's. Katie Fisher, who heads up the clinic under Mr Patel, will do the op privately too, but it's probably worth seeing the LCs first. There's a session at Jessop Children's Centre at 10am tomorrow morning. Other cafes here, including one at Peckham Library. (Only the ones which say midwives/lactation consultants present will reliably have tongue tie experts there.) Contact details for the midwives are also on the sheet and feel free to give them a ring - they are very helpful.

http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/maternity/support-breastfeeding-lambeth-southwark.pdf

SimonetheBeaver - thank you so much for your reply. Sadly, after nearly a decade I left Peckham for Penge in November, and so I can't attend the cafes you listed. Bizarrely the leaflet I was given about my local breastfeeding cafes states clearly they won't refer for tongue tie, and quite frankly I haven't got huge faith in the Commumity midwives I've met. So wanting to tackle the problem swiftly I thought I'd look at private/ independent alternatives.

The good news is that I have found the details of Mr Patel and Katie's private practice and it's actually just down the road from me in Croydon - for anybody else who searches

http://katherinefisher.co.uk

Confusedbyitall - we called him Magnus :-)

Hi there,

Apologies if this is too late, but we too used Katie Fisher for my son's tongue tie ages 1 week. She's great at her job and will make sure you quickly get back on track with feeding. It's private, so not cheap, but worth it.

Feel free to ask if any other questions,

Lizzie

www.maternityleavelife.com

We did indeed use Katie Fisher - saw her on the Wednesday, had the snip performed yesterday by Mr Patel, with Katie assisting. Initial consultation lasted two hours and was hugely beneficial for breastfeeding guidance besides the tongue tie issue. Cost was ?70.

Snip and two follow up appointments cost ?300 (but is significantly cheaper if you are prepared to hold the baby and Katie rather than Mr Patel performs the procedure.)

Would highly recommend - it is now taking my little one just 15 minutes to get the same amount of milk as it previously took 90 minutes of feeding to get - and which still needed to be topped up. BUT the discomfort the little fella is currently experiencing is palpable, although I believe it will ease off after 48 hours.

Overall I would recommend Katie not just for tongue tie but as a terrific lactation consultant - even after successfully feeding my first one for over a year I learnt loads about improving my technique during my time with her.