anyone got experience of moving to lewes/brighton area?

Hello, We moved to Lewes about 18 months ago. We like it a lot, have settled in well and met lots of people. We live in the South Malling area and my daughter will start at S Malling primary in Sept. The schools are all good as far as I know. Feel free to PM me with any questions or can meet for a coffee if you are coming down to do a recce at any point!

There are some lovely villages around but I haven't explored them much yet. Ringmer and Cooksbridge are the closest and you would definitely get more house/garden for your money there. They don't have much in the way of shops/services though so you would need to be happy driving into Lewes for everything.

(Mathilda's other half on this reply)

Fairly understandably, I would echo (amplify even!) the positive things Mathilda has to say on here

We moved in Jan 2014, and I still commute back to London (most days anyway). As with being a reluctant dad, so I was a reluctant London exile. London was in my blood and for us there was none of this "leaving London would be good.. y'know.. for the kids"

We moved because we simply had to - and we spent 6 months looking at places in and outside London we could afford. And the truth is there aren't many places outside London we would want to move to but Lewes is unique (so much so it wasn't on our initial shortlist. I thought it might be "too good" to consider)

The combination of Lewes life, Downs countryside and Brighton on doorstep is hard to beat - I can't imagine going back now. Have a listen to "Love Lewes" podcasts to get an idea of what happens culturally in the town as well.. but for me the Union Music store (free gigs every Saturday afternoon), the pubs, the local football team, live music, a great library, Pells Pool (oldest Lido in country), easy access to the Downs for walking are just some of the things that make up everyday life

Even typical provincial achilles heels (eg can I get a good curry?) aren't a problem. Great curries and some of the best pizza in the country at the Hearth

There are some beautiful villages outside Lewes and in Sussex generally - but politically, to give you an idea of the cultural comparison.. "Lewes" constituency voted Conservative at last election - that constituency includes the following:

"Lewes District Council: Barcombe and Hamsey, Chailey and Wivelsfield, Ditchling and Westmeston, Kingston, Lewes Bridge, Lewes Castle, Lewes Priory, Newhaven Denton and Meeching, Newhaven Valley, Newick, Ouse Valley and Ringmer, Plumpton, Streat, East Chiltington and St John (Without), Seaford Central, Seaford East, Seaford North, Seaford South, Seaford West. Wealden District Council: Alfriston, East Dean, Polegate North, Polegate South."

Basically (to generalise) the margins were such that Lewes town voted anti Conservative and the rest voted Conservative

this may or may not be to your inclination?

As for Neville - it's one of three largeish estates bordering the town centre (Landport, Malling, Neville). Landport would give you more house for money but isn't great. We know people in Neville and they love it but it is the one part of town that would necessitate a car maybe? It's just that bit further from centre.

Otherwise you are looking at centre of town which is lovely but houses are what, three times the price of the rest?

I travelled to Lewes on 3 seperate days to view various properties and would strongly recommend you do the same and not rely solely on Rightmove etc.

From everything you write it sounds like you've made the decision now just need to refine the location. Good luck!

Thank you Mathilda's other half!

Yes, that is pretty much us. House in ED too small now and no way we can afford to buy a bigger one round here. So rather than just move to another area of London we thought why not bite the bullet and do what we have always said we would do - and move out. We've lived in Brighton before anyway so do vaguely know the area - but all different when kids to think of as well!

Thanks for the positive message. Good to know it's worth the hassle in getting there!