Lewisham hospital

CHLOE781

Morning! My pre schooler may potentially need to have a routine day surgery operation soon and we have been given the choice of lewisham hospital (one month waiting list) or evelina (6 month waiting list). Would anyone have any feedback they could share on lewisham hospital, positive or negative, and in particular re pediatric day surgery, as there must be a reason for the variation in waiting list times!!!? Much appreciated, thank you.

No experience of paediatric day surgery, but we've been to the paeds A&E at Lewisham, and we had a very positive experience with the medical staff.

I'm a regular outpatient at the haematology clinic, and have been through several other clinics including outpatient day procedures. They've all been fine. xx

Hi Chole - I am in the same situation as you and have opted for Lewisham. My child's op is an ENT one and I was told it was the same consultant and team from Evelina who are doing some operations on Fridays in Lewisham. I think it is a way of cutting waiting lists down. I have had experience of Lewisham some years ago when I had my first child and received great care. Having said that, the Evelina is undoubtedly an amazing place but it depends whether you want to wait or not.

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate the very helpful advice; thanks sniff too - ours is an ent op too so probably for the same thing given the other circumstances! I don't really want to wait so given its the same surgeons, I think it's probably lewisham then.

CHLOE781 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> there must be a reason for the variation in waiting list times!!!?

St Thomas' / Evelina serve large areas. And also lots of people just want to go to the shiny new building with the helter-skelter in reception.

Staff at Lewisham are great.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had experience with both hospitals and their surgery departments. Lewisham day surgery and Evelina was a more severe surgery so we were there a week.

Both were genuinely excellent but I found Evelina, as they are geared towards children as a whole hospital a better environment for my daughter. If I had a choice I'd pick Evelina but to have to wait 5 months longer I just don't think it's worth it and I personally would be happy to choose Lewisham.

Good luck!

cornelia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have been to children's A&E and spent a couple of

> nights with my baby in the paediatric ward and

> nothing would induce me to ever go back there

> again.

>

> That was over four years ago though.

To be fair, if your child is having to stay in A&E, it's not going to be a great experience wherever you are.