can you get a short-term au pair?

canela

Looking for some au pair advice here. We are going to need before and after school childcare for a while, and so think an au pair is a good solution. But as my situation at work may change, I?m wondering if we would be able to get an au pair for a shorter period of time. I think a school year is normal, but as the summer holidays are coming up maybe we could find someone who wants to stay just until then?

We were going to use an agency, but I think if we are looking for short-term then it might be easier to find someone already here? That just makes me a bit nervous as I think it would be without an agency? How do you make sure you have all things covered? Would you use a contract? Is it best to get someone through a personal contact?

Sorry, lots of questions!

Also, any tips on how to make a good relationship with an au pair?

yes you can get them for summer too, there is a group or two on the Facebook - like Find an au pair or Family, someone will add you in and there are few that are looking for a summer placements. It's stressful though as many do not reply, do not show up for Skype interview or even a real interview, so you need some patience good luck!

I'm looking for an au pair now using au pair world and great au pair. There are a number looking for shorter term e.g. 3, 6, 9 months. They have been responsive in terms of messaging and skype so far. It's like an evening job though so I can see why an agency is tempting!!

I've never used an agency as I like to be in control of exactly who I recruit. I use Au Pair World. I put up a very specific job advert setting out who we are, what's expected etc. and some photos. I then go through replies and bin anyone who isn't the right fit (e.g. I need to have over 23 for car insurance, so anyone younger gets binned. We have three children so I need experience of looking after kids of different ages). I also check their general info and see if I think our personalities would match.

I do a shortlist then interview. My preference is for people who are already in the country so we can meet face to face, show them their room, see how they are with the kids, but if not then a Skype interview (I would be a bit less fussy for a short term position I think).

I have a clear contract and an au pair handbook on arrival, and we spend a fair bit of time settling them in.

So far its worked brilliantly - my current au pair is in her second year with us and is part of the family.