Kumon or Explore Learning experience

Hello all

I am thinking about signing up my daughter with Explore Learning in either sydenham or brixton on the recommendation of a friend (who sends their also 5 year old to one in Surrey). Obviously Kumon would be better in terms of location so I just wondered if anyone had experience of either or both and could give me a steer on whether they would recommend Explore learning?

massive thanks in advance

I know nothing about Explore Learning, but my daughter did Kumon maths for several years. She started at the end of Year 1 when she was getting so bored by the lack of differentiation by her teacher. After an assessment, we were surprised by the very basic work that she was given initially, but this was aimed at making the four maths functions completely automatic. She moved through the levels very quickly, and was doing quadratic equations by the start of Year 6. The way in which the work was structured, and the routine gave her a wonderful grounding and understanding in maths. I think it was very important that she really liked her tutor, and I think he still runs his Beckenham class (my daughter went to the Gypsy Hill branch). Kumon really suited my daughter, and it helped to stretch her and relieve the boredom of an infant school with fairly low expectations. She stopped Kumon a few months after starting secondary school because she had a long journey to and from school, and it was difficult to get home in time to get to the classes.

Kumon does take a degree of commitment by children and parents, and unless you are prepared to do the work set every day, without fail, even when on holiday or on Christmas Day, then I think it's pointless. But if you're prepared to follow the programme religiously then I think it's brilliant.

My grand daughter took Kumon Maths when she was in primary school. Very quickly began to excel and enjoyed the work. Gave it up around 10/11. Went to secondary school where after a couple of terms, the kids were ability streamed. She and a few others were put in what was called the Super Stream for Maths and were given GCSE papers to work from the age of 13, Received an A* at GCSE. Kuman Maths really helped he with this subject. Her younger brother was not interested in doing Kumon.

My 6 yr old son does Kumon maths, very well run centre and helpful, patient staff. Every child is different - My son is good at maths but not so good at focusing! He doesn't "enjoy" it but he is now a year ahead of his classmates and is chuffed when he gets a certificate / award. It has also helped develop his attention span and ability to sit still and do his homework.